Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator no longer cools at all, including the freezer.

Customer Question

My refrigerator no longer cools at all, including the freezer. Compressor does click on occasionally and stays on for only 13-18 seconds. Fan runs fine. I cleaned Evaporator coils.
When compressor comes on, it sounds a bit noisy, like rattling or clicking. Any ideas of what I can test?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So that compressor clicking on occasionally is the key to your problems. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that the compressor is quite hot to the touch. There is a black device T03-09 which plugs into white receptacle with wires. The white receptacle, which does rattle, has black/burnt marks near one of two contacts from the T03-09. Is the white device the overload relay? Where might it be Available ?

Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the white device is the overload relay that needs to be replaced. Below is a link to the part you need to order.

CLICK HERE for part

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 days ago, I replaced a burnt out overload relay and it worked fine until now. Currently, the relay looks fine. I cleaned the dirty contacts, but it doesn't seem to be cooling. Any other suggestions on things to check?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So if the overload relay fixed the issue and now it's back to not cooling, your compressor sounds like it's either seizing up when it gets hot, or is just beginning to fail for one reason or another. EIther way, sometimes you can unplug the unit for 3 or 4 hours and let the compressor cool down and it'll start working again, but even if that works, the compressor ultimately needs to be replaced to prevent this issue from re-occurring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem and I'm really sorry about the issues you're having with the refrigerator.