Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I live in a remote area of Alaska. I have a 2006 Amana ABR

I live in a remote area of Alaska. I have a 2006 Amana ABR 1922 FES refrigerator that runs all the time. The freezer is plenty cold and the fridge seems to regulate OK (circulating fan between freezer and fridge goes on and off when needed), so the technician I called in Juneau, AK said it was probably the thermistor in the freezer. Took a week to get here, and I finally installed it today. No change in fridge behavior. What do I replace next...the control box somewhere? Oh, and may I mention that we have fairly regular power outages here...I'm afraid some of the electronics might have gotten fried.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service

Usually a refrigerator will run about 60% of the time. Is it running more than that but it is not freezing the food at all in the fresh food section?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's running 100% of the time. No, not freezing food in the fresh food section. Forgot to mention that when I attempt to turn the entire appliance off by turning the both fresh food and freezer controls to zero, it does not turn the appliance off...condenser fan or whatever it is, is still running.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a wiring diagram let me look it over. Just a few minutes.

Thanks,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are right on target. The main control board is bad, there is a relay welded closed on it and that is what is keeping it on. There is an electric damper that shuts when the fresh food section is cold enough keeping things in that part from freezing.

The main control board is the board you are seeing the digits on and press to change the numbers. That is the main board in that panel. Change that board and that will take care of the problem.

Please ask if you have any questions at all. If not please leave a rating for me.

Thank you,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what do I look for when I go to order a replacement..."main control board"?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I will get the number for you. Just another minute.

Thanks,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Were you going to order locally? Is there a place that is close enough for you to pick one up there?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, "locally" is a relative term here. Yes, I can get parts flown in from Juneau, 35 air miles from our island. Or I can order the part online.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Wow, not really nearby here where I live in Tennessee. Well look you need to tell whomever you order from that your model number is XXXXX your serial number is XXXXX and could the person you talk with please double check that 12002756 main control board is the correct board for your model and series, there are more than 3 of these and though they look identical they are programmed differently. This is very important, a lot of these diagrams and parts lists from the factory on this style, not model all of the styles are wrong. So protect yourself by giving that information and specifically request that they check the part number to your serial number. That will ensure you get the correct board.

Again please ask if you have questions.

Thank you,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.