Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

there is always a odor from the range and there is no gas leak!!

Customer Question

there is always a odor from the range and there is no gas leak!! Any ideas??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

When the oven is running, there will always be a gas odor of some sort. But if the oven has been sitting idle for 24 hours and you still smell gas, there is a leak. You would need to call someone else out with a combustible gas meter to try and track down where the leak is. Most leaks I find are right where the gas supply hose from your house connects to the regulator valve on the back of the oven. But if a gas valve or something for the burner isn't sealing off, you may need a new gas valve as well. Without a combustible meter, you're just shooting in the dark as to where the leak is however.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!