Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my oven Ignites intermittently but the broiler and tops works.

my oven Ignites intermittently but the broiler and tops works. I smell gas and it glows.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It appear as though someone else already gave you a correct answer on this problem but you wanted a second opinion so I will give you a second opinion. It sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced.  Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing.  They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open.  It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $50 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it.  Otherwise it will cost about $150-175 to call someone and replace it for you. 

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

having it explained that way makes more sense to me. Thank you for your assistance.

Not a problem at all and I wish you only the best. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!