Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Café I have done all repairs on. It is about 2007-

I have a GE Café I have done all repairs on. It is about 2007- no model number as it is a second hand model. I have never hit a snag until today.

The broiler and the oven do not work, byut the electric baking drawer and gas range DO work. I replaced the broiler igniter, reused the intact broiler igniter (I THINK it's intact) to replace the oven igniter. Still no luck.

If one or the other is "out of commission", will neither work?

I see on repairclinic.com that it could be other issues such as control panel. (ouch)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So just to be clear, both bake and broil are not working---is that correct? Is either igniter glowing when you tell it to bake/broil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! I always get my appliance answers here, actually- I kick my husband out so we don't argue (though were both good) and then I ask your help, lol!

Both didn't work- neither igniter glowing... the bake igniter is looking pretty well shot, but the broil igniter and the wiring didn't look bad- same part number with repair clinic, too, btw-

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a multimeter to test power by chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know what it is... Have to check...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So sorry- just had my first chemo the other day and simply collapsed in bed after looking for the multimeter. Nothing is going according to plan... Anyway, I will live to tell the tale! If you can't help due to being offline, I understand... My husband is going to get the multimeter right now at Lowes...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That's alright. I'm on-line now but if I'm off when you return with a multimeter, I can always help you when I get back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey... I tested it without the cover.... Will that prohibit it from working?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No it won't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If one of my igniters is out, will both broiler and oven cease to function?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, Do I need a multitester? Perhaps it's the board...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes you do, because it could a thermal cut out, the control board, or the oven gas safety valve.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume you work like "normal" people... When you get a chance, I have my multimeter and am ready to check what's the problem... Sorry for "disappearing", but my chemo affected me and I didn't quite expect it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry to hear about the chemo treatments but I do hope that they go well. I definitely work more than the normal person so I'm able to reply most times. That being said, to test what is wrong, you need to remove the back panel behind the oven. Then you need to locate the 2 wires going to the bake igniter. Test power to the igniter between the 2 wires you you set the oven to bake. Do you have 120 volts between the 2 wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know in a bit....
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Problem with this oven is that it is a double oven- electric baking drawer to 450 and the gas oven and gas broiler). So accessing everything is troublesome at best...)
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, it's definitely not an easy oven to work on at all I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have a great plan.... I'm gonna leave this to the experts cuz I'm simply too weak to even open the multitester packaging with kitchen shears. Just too darn sick. You are great and have been very helpful and patient. I managed to use the multitester on a live circuit. Time to go to bed and call it a day. Thanks!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, well I do how your treatments go well and if you need anything else, please just let me know.