Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Kitchenaid Superba side by side model KSSS42QJX00.

We have a Kitchenaid Superba side by side model KSSS42QJX00. The icemaker recently stopped making ice. The food on the freezer side started to defrost. I have removed the back panel. The fan is running and the freezer will cool but not become cold. The evaporator has heavy frost across the top. I have turned the unit off and then on previously. The frost will melt and a fine layer of frost will cover the entire evaporator but this is short lived. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it sounds like you have a sealed system problem because the fan inside the freezer is running but the coils are not staying lightly frosted from top to bottom. You need to remove the top access panel above the doors to access the compressor/sealed system cage. Remove the screws going into the front sheet metal panel and remove that panel. Check to see if the fan next to the compressor is running. If the fan isn't running, test for 120 volts to the fan and if it has 120 volts, replace the fan. If it doesn't have 120 volts (this is the more likely case), then the main control board would need to be ordered and replaced because the relay fails and stops sending power to the condenser fan motor.

Now if you find that the fan is running, you'll just need to call a technician. They will need to tap into the system and check to see if you have a freon leak. You either have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor but you'll need a technician to test which one you have.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you ballpark repair costs for each of the options discussed? This unit is about 10 years old.

If you need a new condenser fan motor, $200 or so. A freon leak would be about $400 to repair, and a new compressor would be about $800 on this machine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. This saved us time and headaches.

Given the age on this unit, and if we pursued repair, can I ask your opinion on how much longer this would extend the life of the unit? Would it to be reasonable to expect another 5 years?

Yes definitely. I wouldn't think there is any reason not to repair this refrigerator because these built in units are quite expensive. My guess would be that you'd get another 10 years out of it once you fix the problem at hand.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Any thoughts on appliance services in The Woodlands area in Texas that you or your colleagues might recommend?

Unfortunately I wouldn't know anyone in that area, but I would generally stay away from A&E (Sears) as they are very expensive, and you could call Whirlpool to see who is authorized in your area.