Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag Bravos Dryer that I am trying to replace the

I have a Maytag Bravos Dryer that I am trying to replace the thermal fuses but cant access the heating element to change them. How do I gain access in order to install a new fuse?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you happen to have a model number so I can see how your dryer comes apart?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model #MEDB400VQ0

Ok perfect, thank you. So this dryer is really hard to access.  The fuse is mounted to the top of the plastic blower wheel housing under the drum which means you need to remove the front panel and maybe even the drum to gain access if the front panel isn't enough room for you. To do this, open the door and there are 2 hidden clips between the top panel and the front panel.  Use a putty knife and push on the two hidden metal spring clips that hold the top panel to the front panel.  These clips are located in the crease between the top and front panel.  If both clips are pushed back, the top panel will unclip and hinge up and backwards so that you can access the screws coming into the top of the front panel.  There are also 2 screws below the door way.  Remove these screws and the front panel will hinge forward and down.  Then you can see inside the dryer but you really need to remove the front drum support to get clear access to the fuse. So remove the screws in the front drum support and set the support aside to gain better access.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I currently have everything you mentioned done with the exception of removal of the front drum support. If I remove the screws from this part of the dryer will I have to remove the drum?

You won't have to, it will just hang down. But you will likely want to remove the entire drum so you have completely clear access.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have removed the heating element support along with the front panel and have some access (I will have to re-install the heating element when through), can I just prop the drum up after removing the front support, change fuses and put it all back together?

Yes, that is exactly what you can do.