Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Superba model KSRS25QGAL01, freezer section appears to have

Superba model KSRS25QGAL01, freezer section appears to have stopped working, i.e. cold but not freezing. Fridge side seems to be okay. Intermittent clicking sound coming from compressor electrical terminal, I assume when it is attempting to turn on. Is this just an electrical issue, or is the compressor shot?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So that clicking you hear is the key to your problems. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should have mentioned that I did attempt to take the terminal cover off (yes, unplugged first!) Is there a trick to getting the terminal cover off? Dont want to force it

Umm, it's hard to know what cover you have but usually there is a part on the top that you pry up on with a flat head screwdriver to help unclip the cover and then pull it off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fair enough, thanks. Sorry, one more - should I unplug the fridge until I can check this, or at least turn off the freezer section?

Yes, definitely unplug the refrigerator before doing any service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks but wasnt the question - of course I will unplug before getting into the electrical. What I meant was, will this cause any further damage or issues by leaving the leaving the fridge plugged in or leaving the freezer section turned on?

Yes, if you continue to leave the fridge on and the compressor continues to try and restart over and over. It can damage the compressor overtime or even short it out completely. You'll want to unplug this until the issue has been solved.