Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Washer lid locks then when sensing, it unlocks and light

Customer Question

My Washer lid locks then when sensing, it unlocks and light goes off. I can open the lid and see water going into washer. Machine goes thru cycles but doesn't do anything. When it shows done, I take out the clothes. They are extremely wet and don't appear to be washed. What is wrong with my washer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator. There is an actuator motor below the tub that switches the shifter next to the motor. To access this part, you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics.  Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated.  Push START. The status lights will flash on and off and CL will display if you have a display.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs.

Fault/error codes are displayed by alternating the state of the Status LEDs in one-second intervals. All fault/error codes have an F# XXXXX an E#. The F# XXXXX “Type of Fault” and the E# XXXXX “Component system where fault is located.”

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cant run the test because it doesn't have a display

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't need a display. I said "The status lights will flash on and off and CL will display if you have a display."

IF is the key word.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tired it a few times but it cant get the done light to come on.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, I tend to find that people have that problem, but if you can't get it to come on, I'd tip the washer back, remove the drain pump and make sure nothing is clogged inside and if you find nothing, replace the actuator assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Can I get one locally or do have to go online to order?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can order it online. Below is a link to the part and a video on how to replace it.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the part today and put it in. Didn't help any. Still stuck on sensing and lid light is unlocked.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so you will really need to pull up the error code unfortunately to get a better idea of what is causing the issue. Hopefully you can keep trying and the sequence will work eventually, but if not, you'll need to call a technician out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have figured it wasn't the actuator. Never heard of an actuator affecting the lid locking mechanism
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The lid light flashing is the universal error code on this unit to let you know that there is an error. It has absolutely no indication there is a problem with the lid lock---just that there is an error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But lid light isn't flashing. It just.went off sensing light stayed on. Then water went in and wash light came on
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The sensing light is just another way of saying there is an error unless the sensing light goes off. Either way, the point is that you still need to pull up an error code. I gave you instructions on how to pull up the error code and the instructions are still the same. Without pulling up the error, at this point you don't have the common problem that people get with this model so you need to know what error you're getting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sensing light went out and went to wash. now it just went to rinse. I lift up lid and hear it running but the basket never moved unless I turn it by hand
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so you need to pull up the error code still. Sounds like you may have a bad gear case (transmission) or the belt/pulley has fallen off which you would have seen when you replace the actuator, or the control board is bad. You would need to pull up and error code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Belt is fine. That was the first thing I looked at when I took actuator off
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I understand. If the belt was a problem or the pulley was loose, it would have been obvious when you replace the actuator. But that's why you need to pull up an error code to know what the washer thinks is wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. Ill try it after this load is done. Now it is in rinse cycle and makes.noise but won't move. In spin cycle now and nothing. Just waiting for it to finish
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. Tried it three times.but it wouldn't work
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what to say, but you may need a technician out if you can't pull up the error.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I paid for help, have you every info possible. Bought the part that was suggested. Which I might add, was on back order so I went somewhere else. Paid extra and it still doesn't work. So,far I've spent over 200 dollars and still washer isn't working. Thanks alot#
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I do apologize, but performing the actual task is not something I can do unless I'm at your house. As I said from the beginning--the first thing I'd do is pull up the error code in the same manner that you are trying. The difference is that I've done it many times so it's become very easy even though everyone struggles at first. WIthout an error code, I could give you a guess and say to replace the gearcase next. But that is just a best educated guess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So please explain how you can.get a code at my house that I'm unable to do. Seems many others have turbaned problem. Just want code so it can be solved. If a tech.came out and did same thing and couldn't get error code, then what?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Then he would go off his best guess and the symptoms if he couldn't pull up an error code. But if there is an error, I would be able to pull it off doing the exact same thing you're doing. The timing is very precise so that is why most people can't do it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill keep trying. I notice it's three separate turns right with 2/2 second in between then one to left and then one more to right . it says to turn knob til done light comes on. I'm assuming it's to the right . Am I missing anything?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Nope, but if you don't believe me then look inside the control panel and there is a sheet of paper that will tell you the same thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What steps would I have to do to replace the gearcase?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You would need to remove the inner basket and then go below the washer and remove the gear case from the bottom. But there is no video for this process because it's not an easy task that homeowners normally do so you wouldn't have much help in the way of watching the process on how to do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
code came up. Done light flashes then sensing, rinse, spin and done flash
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is definitely an actuator fault. So possibly the actuator came in faulty from the factor or it wasn't installed properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked it up and plugged it in. Ill take it apart and try again
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same thing. Code came up again
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what to say other than warranty the part out again since the error code is stating that the actuator is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I even put in old on and code came up again.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what to say other than to try ordering a new one. If the error continues to come up, call a technician out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gonna try to order another one. Ill let you know if it works. Is there any reset procedure to do when replacing actuator other than what I did?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is not. If it doesn't fix the issue and you keep getting the same error code, you need to call a technician out to check the unit over because the error code is telling you the same thing that I said from the beginning which is that the actuator sensor is bad and would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got a new actuator. Put it on and the same thing. Got this one for free plus credit for shipping. Can only imagine what is gonna happen if they ask for the part back to check it out
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what to say other than you really need to call a technician out at this point as I have said the last half dozen responses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah but code said what you told me was wrong. I'm not crazy about paying an outrageous fee plus whatever parts they might say is wrong this time.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I understand. But the code says its bad so without being there I can't look the unit over and see what else would cause the error since the part has been replaced two times and your still getting the error saying the part is bad.