Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi I have a kenmore coldspot in my studio and it is in a metal

Customer Question

Hi I have a kenmore coldspot in my studio and it is in a metal building, I have 3 fans circulating the hot air, it has been I the 90's. ithe freezer is fine but fridge side is not cold enough. I've removed everything and the inside back of freezer. The coils are fine, no frost or anything. What should I do to see if it is just caused by this heat wave or something with my fridge
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The heat would affect the freezer temperature, not the refrigerator. So you definitely have a problem if the freezer is fine.

Also, can you re-send the model with a space between each number so that I can see it?  The website is blocking the model because it looks too much like a phone number so all I can see is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model XXXXXXXXXXX
Serial sp0125985
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, you didn't put a space between each number on the model. Can you re-send the model with a space between each number so that I can see it? The website is blocking the model because it looks too much like a phone number so all I can see is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Sorry
106. 5155. 9104
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK now what did you see when you looked at the silver coils? Were they lightly frosted from top to bottom? Was the fan over top of the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan running. Coils clear maybe light frost but hot here and by the time I figured out how to pull the cover away, nothing, took me about three or four minutes
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so it sounds like the damper assembly inside the refrigerator in the upper back left corner is not allowing air to get to the refrigerator. You'll want to remove this device and if it's packed with frost, thaw it out. If it just won't open to allow air into the refrigerator, replace the part. Below is a link to the diffuser damper assembly you'd need to replace.

CLICK HERE for part

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, we'll I ordered the, no instructions, but I was able to figure out how to remove. No ice, or water trail that there had been ice. I should have removed before ordering. I need help badly . I care for my 89 yr old aunt, husband disabled by stroke and teenage daughter. This is h... Without this fridge, please help right away.
Please
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Can you please try to re-explain what your question is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The part you thought I needed did not fix the issue. I changed it out and no difference at all. So I put the old part back in. Fridge still warm
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK then something you are saying is just not accurate. Make sure the fan above the silver coils inside the freezer is running. If so, then there is frost build up somewhere so maybe unplug the unit for 24 hours and let it thaw out. If it still won't cool in the refrigerator, then warranty out that damper assembly and replace it again because there is really nothing else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will unplug, and try that.
I will let you know tomorrow
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok good luck again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
After leaving off all night and starting this morning, by 2 o'clock the temp was at 40 and I thought all was well. The fridge is now up to 50 degrees, I am going to buy 2 thermometers and put one in each side and will monitor until tomorrow. I checked the damper and it is clear. It does not feel like much airflow is getting through.
Let me know what else I should check, there is a metal rod in the damper, I can not get it out, do I just pull harder?
I pulled damper out and turned around, no ice at all in it, and it has a plastic with metal inside wrapped around the front, I unwound it, iChat is it, could it have anything to do with it?
Thanks for your patience, this is all new to me!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is really nothing else to check. Either there is a blockage somewhere, the fan isn't running, or the damper needs to be replaced. Make sure there is no blockage in the back left corner behind the crisper drawers inside your refrigerator where the freezer sucks in air through a vent into the freezer. If that's clear and the fan is running, the damper is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So how do I pull that metal rod out, and it looks clear

I will also check below as I have had some ice down there at times

and what do I do with the wrap around plastic that lies in the front of the damper, just push it into the new one.

I am checking the lower vent

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, just push the wrap around the plastic into the new damper, but you can't remove the rod out of the damper---that's part of the damper. It's what pushes the damper flap open or closed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand, the new damper did not come with one, and I cant change it out with out removing it somehow and putting it into the new damper???

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps I don't understand what bar you are talking about, but you may need a technician out if you can't determine how to swap the part out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am talking about the same one you are, it is a long metal bar that is attached to the damper to open it more and allow more cold air into the fridge,the new damper did not come with one and it is attached to the damper and the dial at the front top of the fridge that you use for opening and closing the damper, I have been studying it and I can not find any directions on how to pull it out of the old damper, to put into the new one

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I would need to be there to see exactly what you are talking about because it doesn't make sense to me what you're saying.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never mind. i figured it out. i know you have to deal with a lot of.different appliances . i will see what happens over night. i think the issue is in a different area. once i turned off for the night, it seemed to be working fine for the first hour or so, down to forty degrees, but after a couple of hours back up to 60. and the old damper is in as good a shape as the new.
it would be nice if.the part came with instructions or if you knew how the parts hook up together. if the manual i finally found did not show how the wire connected. luckily i was able to figure it out
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright well I am glad to hear you have the part connected and it should be up and running again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning.
I turned off refrigerator last night. It was 76 degrees, in our home , no ac. I turned on refrigerator this morning and put a thermometer in to see how cool. Will leave closed for 8 hours. Will then check.
Maybe the heat and opening it so much. I caught my aunt with fridge open at 3 in the morning. Door wide open. ;)
thanks for your patience with my struggle and frustration. I appreciate your help even though it did not appear that way last night

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright sounds good. Just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I hooked up the new damper, and started our air compressor and I blew out every bit of dust and dirt on the elements.

The heat wave also went away last night.

I awoke to a very functioning refrigerator.

Thanks for the patience, it is really hard to describe these issues.

but Thank you so much for all of your hard work with me.

It is much appreciated

Have a Great week

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm so glad it's all up and working again.