Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a LG DLG5988W Gas Dryer that kind of warms up but does

Customer Question

I have a LG DLG5988W Gas Dryer that kind of warms up but does not get "hot" Clothes seem to "air" dry instead as it takes several hours. This is a new issue, I noticed it says Dry and Cooling at the same time. We always use Manual Dry (Normal and 60+ min) neither the "Manual Dry or Sensor Dry" lights up except if you don't change the time or Dryness.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : Hello
Jon : my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized LG service tech and I can help you today.
Jon : please allow me two minutes to look up your model dryer. Be right back.
Jon : So I take it the dryer heats but does so at a very low heat level? Which is why it is taking you almost 2 hours to dry a regular sized load.
Jon : have you tried removing the dryer venting from the back of the machine? Sometimes the venting in the back of the machine, depending on how it was installed, will get crushed or pinched shut. And that will restrict the hot air flow out of the dryer allowing the hot air that is normally vented out of the dryer and out of the house to come back into the dryer. Which would cause the thermostats inThe dry to pick up the extra heat coming back into the dryer and will shut the heat off or turn it to a much lower heat setting. And this whole time the dryer will continue to run as normally. And you wouldn't even know the heat was off.
Jon : so I would remove the venting fromthe back of the dryer and run another timed dry load on high heat or timed dry for 60 minutes. Then check it again. If the dryer actually dries the load of clothes in that time then you know for sure the venting is the issue.
Jon : if it still doesn't dry the load of clothes in 60 minutes please let me know and we will check the thermostats and gas valve and solenoids to see if they are working properly.
Jon : and actually let me ask you one more question, after the machine is started do you hear a click or to from below the machine after a few seconds? If so, please let me know that as well.
Jon : hello there how are you?
Jon : Sorry just seeingthat you had said ou and a repair man out and he replace the fame sensor or safety thermostat. If that didn't fix the issue please tell me if you hear the gas click on then go off again within two minutes.
Jon : if so then you need the solenoids and thermostats replaced.
Customer:

Let me check both those suggestions, I'll need a few minutes

Customer:

Dryer "clicks" and I hear Burner ignite and the goes out

Customer:

I have an appt. I must leave, how do I return to the answers or suggestions?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If you hear the dryer gas valve click once to start the igniter and gas then hear the same click less then two minutes later that means the gas valve is shutting off the gas and the heat will stop. Again, usually do to either a clogged venting in back of the machine or the solenoids that control the igniter and gas valve failing.

Since the solenoids are very cheap I would recommend replacing them. And in the meantime remove the venting and let the dryer run a cycle. And listen again to see if you hear the clicking happening more then two or three times. If you do,then the solenoids have to be replaced.

Please just get back to me here when you have a chance to work on this machine more and let me know what you find and I will help you more.

You can always come back to me here and pickup right where we left off rather then going back to the main question page and starting all over again with another expert. And if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better service.

Thank you.

And just so you have it here is the part number for the solenoids coil valves in your machine. This is a frigidaire/Electrolux part. But please understand that they are the same coils and solenoids just about $65 cheaper. They are fully comparable with your machine. And are actually the recommended replacement. It is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN Should cost about $35. And it will come with both solenoid coil valves that you need for your machine.

You can order them from either www.applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com or www.repairclinic.com

Again, please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more. And after you accept and rate my answer and performance positively, I can help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Below is a direct link to the part that you need. Just copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the parts info. And you can order right from there as well.

http://applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=48467

Again, please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat.

Thansk again. Talk to you soon.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You were right about the restricted Outflow Ductwork. The Repair guy came back with a supervisor and vacuumed a huge chunk of lint from the Duct. Thanks for your help

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome for the help. that is what I am here for.

Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have any other questions or concerns about this machine please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.