Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a Amana fridge that isnt working. Model number BR18.

I have a Amana fridge that isn't working. Model number BR18. I bought it from a friend and he said it works sometimes, that it needs a relay switch. I don't know if thats true or not, but I plug it in and it doesn't get cold. Please walk me through the steps to diagnose it. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just went out and plugged it in for about a minute and no nothing is kicking on

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Steven give me just a couple of minutes to look at the diagrams.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Steven look below the door at the very bottom. Remove that panel. You should on the right side find a metal sheet metal plate under there with 2 small screws about an inch and a half apart and between them a part with a knob. Turn that clockwise about 1/4 turn. Did the refrigerator then come on?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it kicked on!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Great. I thought it might. That part is the defrost timer Steven. It is going bad and got stuck in the defrost cycle which means it does not run. Every frost free refrigerator has one of these either electronic or mechanical like yours. Get the exact replacement part and replace that part. If you do not your refrigerator will quit again. Make sure it is going to get cold before investing any money in parts. As long as it runs for a few hours it should start getting cold. If it does replace that part and you will be good to go. Be sure the power cord is unplugged before you change your part, also if it starts off in the defrost cycle you can advance your new part just like you did your old one.

Thank you for the opportunity to help. If you have any questions at all please ask. If not then please leave a rating for me.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is blowing cold air in the freezer and fridge. What is the part number I need?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes Steven, that is great news. I am looking.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
10530703 is the factory part number. Do not accept anything else. There are aftermarket timers that will work but require electrical training to install. You do not want that you want your exact part that will plug in without anything more to do other than plug it in. If you get 10530703 then that is all you will need to do.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.