Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore Pro Refrigerator Model 401.40483800. Freezer

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Pro Refrigerator Model 401.40483800.
Freezer side does not cool.
Refrigerator side cools very well. Compressor runs, defrost on both evaporators performs properly. I have replaced the freezer side evaporator coil fan. The issues is that this fan does not run. Where can I find the factory troubleshooting sequence to determine the next course of action.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the reason the fan doesn't run is normally due to the defrost thermostat. Look at the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. If this part doesn't have continuity, it will cut power to the fan so that the fan doesn't blow warm air across the refrigerator. Check continuity through the defrost thermostat and if it's open, replace the defrost thermostat.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to check continuity without complete disassembly of the freezer room. is this possible?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is not possible I'm afraid. You will need to take everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel to make this test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The defrost element does heat on the freezer side during the defrost cycle. Is this function independent of the defrost thermostat continuity?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
To some extent it is. It shuts the heater off if it gets too warm however. But that being said, the only other than that would cause the fan to not run if the fan has been replaced is the control board on the back. The part number for that is DA41-00307K.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see the defrost thermostat part number as DA32-00006E.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, that is correct it appears.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Appliance Doc

I have found time to get into the freezer and do a bit of checking. The original thermostat has continuity as does the new one that I purchased. So the issue now would be the likely be the control board. Before I purchase this part, is there a way to test the fan motor?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You would need to check power at the fan motor while the door is shut and you should have 12 volts going to the fan motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked voltage at the fan connector while the fan was plugged in, compressor was running, door switches were taped to mimic a closed door condition. Essentially a reading of 0 volts was measured.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so then you would need to replace the control board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

part number DA41-00317A?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
DA97-01183A appears to be the fan motor that I'm coming up with for the freezer circulation fan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fan has already been replaced. We are now looking to replaced a control board. I am finding the following part number for control boards:

DA41-00317A or DA41-00307K. Can you confirm which one I should order?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I don't know why I looked up the fan motor. I believe the part you need is DA41-00307K.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll let you know how I make out with that part.

Thanks for now.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok good luck again.