Jason
Jason, Electrician
Experience:  17 years experience in all phases of electrical installations and repairs
9920183

on a gfi exterior plug, should the the red light be on or off

Customer Question

on a gfi exterior plug, should the the red light be on or off in order for it to work. And, when the exterior bar fridge is plugged into that gfi plug, is the interior switch on or off when the circle is on or when the line is on. thank you for your help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Let's address the symbols on the switch first. The circle is the symbol for the OFF position. The line is the symbol for the ON position.

Jason :

As for your GFI outlet, I've actually seen both. In other words, some brands have an indicator light that is on only when the outlet trips. Others have an indicator light that is on only when the outlet is live. I have the second type in my bathroom.

Jason :

If it trips, the indicator light goes off.

Jason :

But the reverse type is available as well.

Jason :

Do you have any type of electrical tester, to see if the outlet is getting power?

Customer:

no

Jason :

What happens when you push the TEST and RESET buttons?

Customer:

should I trip the gfi switch ond press reset

Jason :

Yes.

Customer:

ok i''ll try, and be right back. thx

Jason :

No problem at all. Standing by.

Customer:

hi and thanks. pressed reset and light came on, fridge switch in in line position but not running. it is a lynx fridge. a plastic sliding thing is connected to the switch ,, does that have to be in a certain position. thx

Jason :

I would need to see in order to answer. Are you able to post photos here? At this point it sounds like the issue isn't an electrical problem anyway. Perhaps your question should be moved to the Appliance Category. I can move it to that category, so an Appliance technician can properly advise you.

Customer:

ok, thanks for your help

Jason :

You are most welcome. Sometimes, it takes a little while for questions to move to the appropriate category. You will be notified when an Appliance technician replies.

Jason, Electrician
Experience: 17 years experience in all phases of electrical installations and repairs
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! The GFI outlet appears to be working properly, so I suspect you have an issue with the control on your refrigerator or perhaps the relay on the compressor. Any noise at all from the refrigerator? Any fans running or clicking or buzzing sounds? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?