Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Hello, we have a frigidaire refrigerator and yesterday evening

Hello, we have a frigidaire refrigerator and yesterday evening all of a sudden it started to make a weird noise. The noise is loud and is coming from the bottom (back side) of the fridge. Can you please identify what the issue could be ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..do you have a model number ? is the fridge still cooling ok? is the noise like a hum or buzz then a click?

Customer:

Hi Randy, yes the model # XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

Its definitely a buzz and click

Customer:

but the fridge is cooling and working

Customer:

its a very loud buzz and click

Randy 43 :

does it click and buzz numerous times then finally start and runs ok ? how long has the noise been coming on?

Customer:

the noise has been going on for the last 15 hours (non-stop). The noise is constantly there but the fridge has been working (cooling) the whole time. The noise seems to be coming from the bottom (lower portion behind the fridge)

Customer:

the noise is this constant buzzing and clicking (fast-paced clicks and loud buzz at the same time)

Randy 43 :

is the noise constant or does it hum and click off every few minutes or so?

Customer:

its constant

Customer:

non-stop

Randy 43 :

sorry ,i didnt see the last post

Customer:

no prob

Randy 43 :

if it is constant and fast paced it will be tubing rattle or condenser fan blade ,it doesnt sound like a compressor issue,which is good , the compressor vibrates and has tubing attached to it ,there is also a fan back there that can cause that ,if you pull out the fridge ,remove the cardboard cover and check for noise ,put you hand on the copper refrigerant lines and see if the noise goes away? those tubes can be slightly bent if necessary , watch the fan blade and do the same with the fan housing ,it may need tightening or adjusting ..even the rear cardboard cover can cause a noise

Customer:

yes i have a feeling its an issue with the fan. if i need to replace the fan, will the fridge be able to work without the fan or is that something i should avoid doing ?

Randy 43 :

the fan cools the compressor it can be without it for a little bit but you dont want to let the compressor run hot for a long time , there may be something in the fan blade causing the noise..

Customer:

ok sounds good. i'll go ahead and check it out.

Customer:

lastly, if i turn the fridge on who

Customer:

*while the cardboard is removed, is that ok ?

Randy 43 :

you can unplug it at the back and see if the noise goes away , ut is just a quick connect plug

Randy 43 :

yes ,it is ok with the cardboard off,it just diverts the air ..you can it without that for a few days if needed

Randy 43 :

unplug the fan i meant

Customer:

sounds good ! is there any way for me to disconnect the fan manually and see if thats what's causing the noise ?

Customer:

oh perfect just read your last post

Customer:

sorry !

Customer:

ok thank you very much, you've been very helpful !

Randy 43 :

no problem ,good luck any more problems just respond back to the same question

Customer:

ok thanks !

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert