Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Hi I have an LG range and get the f3 code sometimes.

Customer Question

Hi I have an LG range and get the f3 code, sometimes I don't but about every other time it seems I have it every few minutes. Tested the impedance of the sensor measured 1120 ohm, relay with bake element connected was 120.4 one side 120.6 other side. With the element disconnected it was 120.6 on right side terminal (from rear view) and 0v on the other, the relay clicked on and off every minute it seemed when it was on the terminal on the left went from 0v to 120.4v. While testing the relay with oven on bake, the top element was on and heating up the oven. Please help, the error code is driving me crazy.

Of course now that its all plugged back in it seems to be working...

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

Ah the ever popular f3 temp sensor fault or error code.

Jon :

Dont let it through you for a loop here.

Jon :

if the sensor was checked at room temp and read 1120 ohms then it is good. but if was at any other temp then room temp it is bad.

Jon :

And as far as for the relay clicking and sending voltage like it did while testing it is normal. That relay will be activated like that multiple times during a bake cycle. If the element was getting full power the whole time then it is good. And the fact that it was working usually shows it is good.

Jon :

now as far as for the broil or upper element coming on during the start of a bake cycle is normal. In fact as most ovens come on a bake cycle, the broil element will come on barely just to help and speed up the heating process. That is normal.

Jon :

If you continually get the f3 error code or intermittently get it but the oven works fine in both bake and broil then it is just a false error code. Which often happens as the control board shorts out. But if you get the error and the oven doesn't work either in a bake or broil and you get the code right away then replace the temp sensor.

Jon :

It is so cheap it is worth just throwing a new one in to check the function of the machine. It will certainly keep your sanity knowing that you have changed it out. and it usually will solve the problem. and if it doesn't then you know the control board is bad.

Jon :

If you have any other questions please get back to me here and I will help you more. and if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please be sure to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating.

Jon :

And if you still have more questions after positively rating me please again come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks again and please let me know how you do.

Customer:

Thanks for the response, yeah we just hit clear and re-program the bake temp and it works until the next f3, which could be 2 mins after or a week or 2 after. Are you talking about the control board with the relays that I was testing to replace if needed, or the main one up top? So most likely being an intermittent problem it is the control board?

Customer:

(saying the control board shorts out.... That's obviously not supposed to happen)

Customer:

Where would be the best place to order these parts from?

Customer:

Also, I let the sensor cool for some time with the oven door open however it was probabky

Customer:

Probably* a little warmer than room temp.

Jon : Thank you for the response.
Jon : If you let the temp in the oven cool down before testing the sensor and for close to 1080 ohms then it is good.
Jon : Now for the relays in the board, and yes that is what I was talking about, if they short out intermittently then yes, replace the control board.
Jon : And the best place to get parts by you is on line at www.marcone.com
Customer:

Excellent. Thanks! Took out the sensor and let it cool, its around 1090Ω.

Jon : just go on line to their website And type in the model search bar the model of your machine and it will come up. Then just search for the temp sensor on the diagrams. Which for your model will show in the oven cavity. And order the part there. They will send it out to you.
Customer:

And as for the board, if I am getting the f3 code still, that's about the only other thing it could be?

Jon : If you don't want to do this just go to your local appliance parts store to order the parts
Jon : and I just now realized that i said to replace the sensor bit if the sensor again was checked at room temp and you got near 1080 ohms then it is good. And replace the board.
Jon : Please get back to me here if you need more help. If not please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.
Jon : thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Will, thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you need more help please come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I replaced the sensor as well as the board and I still get the f3 code it's always after the oven has heated and usually about 10-30 mins into the bake. I clear the code and re set the temp and it works for another 10 mins a and I get another error code. Is getting frustrating more than anything, doesn't prevent us from cooking though

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Will can you please tell me the part numbers of the board and sensor you replaced? and finally, do you have a meter to check the sensor with?

We can check that the sensor and board are good. This way we will know exactly what is happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

6870w1n012a for the board, can't find the part number in the sensor but I ordered it from repair clinic.com under my range model number, yes I have a meter but I think it's strange that it's doing exactly the same thing as it was before, is there anything else it could be?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
ok.I will have to check on the parts info in the morning since i dont have access to Canadian models on line. So I will call in the morning and get correct part numbers.

But in the meantime, check the sensor again like you did the first time at room temp of about 72 degrees and should read about 1080 ohms.

if it doesn't read anything close to that then you have a bad sensor. if it is less then 10% off then it is good. and we will need to check the control.

Of course if the machine is cooking accurately at the right temp and still gives you the f3 oven sensor error then it is giving a false error code. and you will have to reset the error codes and board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is cooking accurately, we just keep getting random f3 codes, how do you reset the board? I have turned off the breaker for a while and back on and still does it.