Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 665.13782K600 dishwasher. Soap

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 665.13782K600 dishwasher. Soap dispenser stopped opening. Removed dispenser, which had a solenoid that melted. Replaced with a new dispenser. Dispenser still not opening. Replaced circuit board, thinking that solenoid wasn't getting a signal to open. STILL NOT OPENING!! What gives???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

What kind of soap or detergent is being used in the dishwasher?

Jon :

if you are using the gel packets and are puting them in the dispenser the packet could causing the dispenser to jam and not open. And could have actually caused the solenoid to go bad as well.

Jon :

The gel packets will expand as water hits it to release the detergent. But when this happens, if the packet is left in the dispenser it could jam the dispenser causing it to not open.

Jon :

Now, if you are not using the gel packets or are not putting them in the dispenser then the only other reason for the dispenser to not open is poor circulation from the main wash motor.

Customer:

using tablet detergent. The new dispenser is not opening either.

Jon :

ok. same thing with tablet. Is it and was it going into the dispenser?

Customer:

New dispenser will not open because the solenoid is not actuating. IT HAS NEVER HAD ANY SOAP IN IT. Do you understand now?

Jon :

If the new dispenser is not opening and there is no soap or packet in there to clog or jam it, then yes, you will need to test the voltage being sent to the solenoid to open the dispenser at time it call for it. which means that you have to gain access to the dispenser while it is closed and in operation and wait for the dispenser to be activated to test properly for voltage.

Jon :

and if you have voltage to the dispenser and still it doesnt open then you have a bad dispenser. other wise, if no voltage then you either have a bad control or wiring to the dispenser.

Customer:

There is no voltage. That is the problem. Replaced the circuit board also. Still no voltage.

Jon :

do the voltage check on the new dispenser and you will know exactly what is happening.

Jon :

if no voltage, and again the dispenser is only activated at a specific time in the wash cycle, then you know you either have a bad board or wiring is damaged somewhere.

Customer:

I did do a voltage check, with my Fluke VOM. No voltage. Even after replacing circuit board, still no voltage.

Customer:

Did a continuity check on the wiring. They're good.

Jon :

yes, i know you said you did the voltage check on the dispenser but you are not getting that it has to be checked at a specific time to be checked accurately. there is not always voltage to the dispenser. so you cant just set the cycle and test the voltage to the dispenser right away, you have to know the timing. otherwise, you will not see any voltage to the dispenser because it doesnt always have voltage.

Jon :

ok. well then you need to read the tech sheet and get the timing sequence for this dispenser to find out how far into the wash cycle the dispenser solenoid is activated. then test at that exact moment to know for sure if the computer control is sending voltage to the dispenser.

Jon :

That is the only way to check the correct voltage to the dispenser. I know it is a pain in the neck but that is the way it is done.

Customer:

I hooked up the voltmeter and let the machine run thru the complete cycle and never got a voltage reading. I'm very patient and sat there looking at the voltmeter the whole time. Never got a voltage indication

Jon :

The only other problem could be the poor circulation of the water through the wash motor. These dispensers also work off a pressure release. Which means that when the dispenser recieves enough water pressure hitting it, it will open.

Jon :

but if the pressure is too weak from the sump motor, the dispenser will never open.

Customer:

And you're right. It is a pain in the neck

Customer:

It will never open if the solenoid doesn't get a signal to tell it to open either.

Jon :

Wow, if you really sat the whole time checking you have patience my friend. I envy you. but if you didnt have voltage then you know the control is the issue. that is the only part that send voltage to the dispenser to open.

Customer:

If I touch the lever at the solenoid, the door flips open fine.

Customer:

That's exactly what I thought. ButI replaced the control and it's still not opening.

Jon :

are you sure that the board you put in was good? where did you get it? i would return it and try another one. especially if you are sure the wiring is correct and not damaged.

Customer:

A new board from 1ST Source in Saddle Brook, NJ

Jon :

and for the lever, if it is touched and it opens that is what is supposed to happen. its the fact that the solenoid is not being activated to do so on its own.

Customer:

Correct. Now we're on the same page.

Jon :

ah first source my friend has had many used parts. That is why they are so cheap on there parts. It has happened to me before many times with them.

Jon :

if you can return the part do so. get your money back and use another distributor.

Jon :

but only order the board again if you are sure the wiring is good and not damaged and causing the dispenser not to open.

Customer:

Maybe at this point, I should explain something. I've been repairing for over 40 years and have used Jacoby in Hackensack, then went to !ST Source when Jacoby closed. Some of the same people at 1St source as Jacoby. Never had any trouble with them.

Jon :

We have always been on the same page about how the dispenser works.

Jon :

I figured you were a repair tech from how you were speaking.

Jon :

you should know more then others on how to check the dispenser. And i believe you do. So dont questions yourself here.

Customer:

It's just that this thing has me stumped, and that doesn't happen that often. I'll probably take your advice and try anotherboard. By yheway, this is my own D/W.

Jon :

if you didnt have voltage to the dispenser then you know it is either the wiring or the board.

Jon :

and if you were and are sure the wires are good, that leaves you with the board.

Jon :

back to basics is what I always say. don't get to bothered or stumped here.

Jon :

and dont kick yourself for it, it happens

Jon :

Sorry If I come off the wromg way with my help and advice here. never intended to do so.

Customer:

Guess so. I don't often doubt myself, but this one has me spinning. Sat in front of the damn D/W for 104 minutes waiting for a signal today.

Jon :

you know exactly what you are doing and I am sure that the control is at fault.

Jon :

Wow, like i said before I envy your patience.

Customer:

OK, thanks for the complement. I'll get a new board tomorrow.

Jon :

I would have never stayed in front of the dishwasher as long as you have to check it. I guess since it was yours you can do that thouhgh.

Jon :

You are very welcome. please come back here again if you have any other questions or need more help or just another opinion and I will help more.

Customer:

What I really should have done is connect a lathing relay up. Then I could have walked away and just check to see if it latced.

Customer:

latched.

Jon :

If you feel that I have either helped or confirmed your suspicions about this machine, then please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat with ok service or better rating.

Customer:

Will do. One question. This is a one time charge? I don't want or need monthly.

Jon :

yes that is correct. one time charge for this question. and after you accept and rate my performance positively below this chat now you can come back here for up to a month

Jon :

and ask anything about this machine and i will continue helping you for no charge.

Customer:

OK

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Frank,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to get back to me here again if you have any other questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again and please let me know how you do with this. Have a good night.