Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a GE Model PNM1871SM1SS Microwave. It wont shut off.

I have a GE Model PNM1871SM1SS Microwave. It won't shut off. The interior light stays on and it sounds like a fan is still running even after it is done cooking. Unplugging it and plugging it back in does nothing to help. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Hello the problem here is a door switch has failed and will need to be replaced.

To do this take the grill out from above the door, Once out you will see the screw holding the control panel in place. Drop the control panel out, you will see the switches to the left. Pull the switches out and test them with a ohm meter for operation. Once the bad switch is located it will need to be replaced.

Please remember that the unit will store lethal voltage even when unplugged so you have to be very careful when servicing this unit.

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,
Thanks for the help. I will need to try that tomorrow and might need more advice at that time. Is there any reason why it would be unsafe to use the microwave in the interim as long as I don't take anything apart?
So long as when it's done you are absolutely sure the magnetron has shut off, to be safe before you open the door I would pull the plug.

Thanks!

Mike.