Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi I have a maytag mbr2256kes model refrigerator and the fridge

Hi I have a maytag mbr2256kes model refrigerator and the fridge and freezer are both too cold. I have them set at 2 (second lowest) and food isn't thawing in the fridge and our ice cream is hard as a rock. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but there is an odd, sweet smell in the freezer.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The only thing that would affect both the refrigerator and freezer being too cold is the thermostat inside the refrigerator section or the display control board. The thermostat is actually mounted up above the light fixture area so you'd need to unclip that light fixture by using a putty knife all the way around between the light fixture and the top of the refrigerator to unclip all the white plastic clips. Now the thermistor should have a resistance of 9800 ohms at room temperature and if it doesn't you need to replace the thermistor. It'a little plastic bullet looking device above the light fixture area with 2 wires going to it. If it checks good, then you'd need to replace the display board.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!