Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

kenmore mod#467932901bo ser#k10244666 bottom drawer freezer,

kenmore mod#467932901bo ser#k10244666
bottom drawer freezer, water leaking intermittently from icemaker onto freezer bottom. Water connections not leaking. Suspect that it leaks when filling.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello Dave my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the freezer to the rear wall. At the lower part where the vent is near the floor can you see ice through that vent?

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no ice accumulated

Thanks Dave, what about your ice storage bin do you get water in there as well?

Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

makes ice normally, water droplets from rear of ice maker area on rear wall of freezer. No water in bin, just accumulates on floor of freezer.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to eliminate other sources such as the defrost drain. Well about the only thing I can think of and have seen is either the small area there where the tube comes through the rear freezer wall and dumps into the ice maker has enough lime built up that it is redirecting the water out.

Or the teflon on the bottom of the ice maker has started to peel and is redirecting some of the water out. You should be able to visually verify either of these 2 things.

Turn off the ice maker for a couple of hours so it gets good and cold, ready to dump ice. Then go and open the freezer door, tape the door light switch so the lights are out, some models have an interlock at the door light switch and the ice maker will not move. So tape it. Then turn on the ice maker and watch it dump then fill. If you see water splashing out then one of those things is the problem. There has been the rare occasion when I have seen the water pressure high enough that it would allow water to splash out but that is a very rare occurance. I almost never see that.

If you see the water splash out you will need to pull the ice maker. Look in the area where the water enters. If there is a lot of buildup there you can clean that with limeaway or another product that will remove hard water stains.

When you take out the ice maker there are on most all 2 screws over the top of the ice maker. Loosen those. Sometimes a screw underneath. Remove that one if its there. Follow the wire harness to the rear freezer wall. A lot of bottom freezer models will have the harness zip tied so cut those then unlock and pull the connector. Then you can lift the ice maker off from the top 2 screws.

If you see the teflon peeling there will be nothing you can do other than replace the ice maker. You can peel out some teflon and that will temporarily stop it but after a while you will start seeing black flecks of teflon in the ice.

Those are the 2 most common things I see, take a look and if you do not see one of those 2 things please use the reply to expert link so we may continue or if you do see one of those 2 things please leave a rating for me.

Lastly if you have any questions at all please ask me.

Thank you,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.