Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

GE Profile French door with two bottom freezer drawers

GE Profile French door with two bottom freezer drawers (PGSS5PJX). Temperature for top refrigerator part is set to 39 and yet food gets frozen solid on the top shelf. It didn't do it before so something is now malfunctioning.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized GE service technician and I can help you today.

Jon :

How old is your ref?

Customer:

About a year and a half.

Customer:

?

Jon :

ok. thank you.

Jon :

and during that year and a half you have never had the items in the back center of the ref freeze on you? especially the items closest to the freezer on bottom shelves?

Jon :

this is actually a common complaint with this model and many other like it.

Jon :

what is the freezer temp set at?

Jon :

and open the freezer door. the bottom freezer door and tell me if you hear the evap fan running in back of the freezer?

Customer:

It happens on the top shelf not the bottom. The freezer is separated from the ref as it is in a drawer below.

Jon :

yes. i know that the freezer cabinet is sperate from the ref.

Customer:

Let me look...

Jon :

the cold is made in the freezer section then distributed to the ref section by a fan. and that cold air is sent up the back channel of the freezer to the ref cabinet. and then the air comes out of the damper assembly in the top back portion fo the ref. the cold air then sinks to the bottom of the ref and then get recycled back to the freezer section.

Jon :

if you were also to stick your hand back in the ref cabinet at the top shelf you will feel the cold air blowing in from the freezer.

Customer:

freezer temp is set to -1F and I do hear humming noise when I open the drawer.

Jon :

ok good for the fan in freezer. and the freezer set to -1 is a little cold. but should be ok since the recommended set point temp for the ref is 0 degrees.

Jon :

have you had a power surge or loss of power to the home that you know about recently?

Customer:

It happens two, three times a year but nothing recently, maybe three months ago. And no, it never happened until well, maybe three months ago...

Jon :

ok. with tis machine there is a main compuetr in the back that controls almost all functions to the ref. it is the heart and soul of the machine. And it is very prone to failing when there is a power surge. ANd it could take months before you know or realize or the ref shows any signs or symptoms.

Jon :

last check for me please

Jon :

can you open the freezer door and look to wards the back wall, do you see any frost or ice on that wall at all? please remove the food to get a closer look if you have to.

Jon :

most times when a customer is having water or liquids and food freezing in the top shelf in the middle of this style ref it is either because the set point temps are too low or the main control board, which again regulates the temps, has shorted out and needs to be replaced.

Jon :

I see this about 3 times a week. that is how common it is.

Customer:

No ice snow or frosting anywhere...

Jon :

ok. good. then I would unplug the machine for about ten minutes. this will reset the main control board. and in the meantime if you have one, plug a surge protector, one that you would use for a tv or computer into the outlet for the ref, then plug the ref into the surge protector. this will prevent any surges you may have to the home from damaging the main control board of the ref.

Jon :

unplugging the machine for ten minutes will reset the main board. Then let it run as normal for about a day or so.

Customer:

I will try this right now.

Jon :

and if after the two days the items on the top shelf are still freezing then you wil need to replace the main board.

Jon :

ok. great.

Jon :

Thank you for the positive rating it is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to get back in touch with me here at any time if you have more questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

just so you have it the part number for the main control board is WR55X10956 and should cost about $185. now do you see why it is recommended to plug the ref into a surge protector of some sort? You certainly don't want to have to replace the main board each time you have a power surge.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.