Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Whirlpool Duet Washer wont turn on flashing 40, this happened

My Whirlpool Duet Washer won't turn on flashing 40, this happened once before and I believe there's a lockout for this washer in case you don't want someone using it, and I think I did it again inadvertently. Can you help?
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Try pressing and holding the end of cycle signal button in for 5 seconds and see if the control unlocks. If not get me the model number and I will be glad to go on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That did not work.

Model GHW9100W1

Serial #CSP3901962

Okay Unplug the machine for 1 minute and as you plug it back in listen carefully for a click coming from under the top of the machine, its kinda faint so listen good. let me know if you hear that and if the controls respond then .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, can't do that. Home alone, plug is at back of machine, can't move it out by myself! Anything else I can try?

Please stand by,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem

try and see if this will go into diagnostic mode.

The control must be in the OFF state before pressing the touch-pad sequence to start the test.

Starting the test mode

Close the door.

Press the Control On button.

Select the DRAIN/SPIN cycle.

Select NO SPIN by pressing the SPIN SELECT button, as needed.

Push Prewash Option button four (4) times within five (5) seconds. C:00 will show in the display.

If Model does not have PREWASH Mode as an option, press RINSE/HOLD.

If the Starting procedure fails, push PAUSE/CANCEL button. Then repeat the starting sequence.

Test Program Control during Execution

To advance to the next step of the test procedure, push Prewash Option button two (2) times

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Didn't work. There is no off state for the control

Okay thats not good then. You Really need to unplug this and plug it back in. the control is locked up but not by the child lock. can you at least try and shut the circuit breaker off to the machine for a minute and then turn it bake on ? this may reset the board, also have you opened and shut the door since we started talking ? that will reset the board sometimes also. shutting the power off is probably whats needed to be tried, the rest of the tests are actually taking the machine apart or at least opening it up and using a volt meter to do some tests. can you at least try the breaker?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, that did it, sorry about the hassle. Thanks for the help!

your very welcome ! I'm so glad that worked ! please remember to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you. thanks and have a great night, Bryan