Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I replaced the bake element in a Hotpoint Model RF764005WH

I replaced the bake element in a Hotpoint Model RF764005WH and still no heat. There is no voltage to the element. Is the element fused? If so where are the fuses located. If not, should I be suspicious of the relay? I can't find any evidence of burnt or disconnected wires.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you turn your oven to broil, does the broil option still work?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the broil function works fine. As a matter of fact, with the control in the "Bake" position, the broil element heats to warm, about 200 degrees. I don't know if this is by design or not. With the control in the "Broil" position, the broil element reacts according to the thermostat.

OK so there are no fuses that would cut out the bake and not affect, the broil. Also, the broil element should not heat to warm when set to the broil position. You have a bad thermostat I'm afraid and this is an old enough unit that the part is no longer made so I'm really not sure where you'd get a new thermostat.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You mean in the bake position the broil element should not heat at all, right? Also, I'm confused-why would the (bad) thermostat lock out voltage to the bake element and shift it to the broil element? Is that what you are thinking is happening?

Yes, that is correct. But yes, the thermostat should break contact with the broil element and re-direct power to the bake element through the thermostat. That is not happening. That is why it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I see. Two last things, the old bake element was burnt completely apart. Is that of any consequence as far as damaging other parts, such as the thermostat? Also, would you be suspicious of the relay that (apparently) closes when the thermostat calls for heat?

Yes, that almost alway shorts out the contacts in the thermostat when the element shorts out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I will try to luck in to finding a NOS thermostat.

no problem and sorry about the bad news.