Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

whirlpool washer general questions on when it has spin problems

whirlpool washer general questions on when it has spin problems MOD: LA6100XSWO
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 11 months ago.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, my name is Dave. The first thing to look for is does silver clutch spin when it is trying to spin?

Customer:

when looking underneath if silver clutch is spinning then what

Appliance Tech Dave :

That tells you the gearcase etc. is okay and the problem is either the clutch slipping or the two "ears" on the top of the spin tube are broken or the drive collar is cut through. You need to remove the agitator to see the top of the tube.

Customer:

the clutch slipping would mean that the tub could possibly spin real slow without clothing in the basket Dave ? and is this clutch part independent of the brake and drive tube or directly connected to the brake and drive tube ?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Yes the clutch slipping can cause it to spin slow but if the drive block the tub attaches to is cut through it will do the same thing. The top of the spintube has two "ears" that stick up and fit into two notches in the drive block. Sometimes the soft metal block cuts through and then it only spins by friction fit. Check that before you order any parts. Just take off the agitator to see it. Need directions?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Here is a link where you can see a picture of the block to see if it is okay. There is a video if you do need to replace the block. You can see the notches in the picture and if yours is damaged it will have a perfectly round opening on the top. If it is okay the problem is more likely the clutch. Drive block link.

Customer:

is the drive collar you mentioned earlier the same as the drive block ? and the clutch you are talking about is part of the brake and drive tube right ? I realize there is a brake type system that looks like a clutch and this is directly tied into the top of the transmission , we are not talking about this part are we ?

Appliance Tech Dave :

The drive collar and drive block are the same part but the spindrive and brake is all one part with the tube that comes to the top and the block/collar attaches. The silver clutch attaches to the top of the gearcase and is separate but it drives the spintube.

Customer:

I understand so far thanks on the brake and drive tube . if the brake and drive tube is spinning from a visual inspection underneath , then does this mean I don't need to even bother with the silver clutch on the top of the gearcase. or do I also need to look at this clutch also as a suspect to not spinning ??

Appliance Tech Dave :

Yes, if you can see the brake and drivetube spinning on the bottom then the clutch is good. The problem would be up top.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Here is a link to a video for the clutch in case you need it. The agitator and console may be different but it will be helpful to see this before you start. Clutch video link.

Customer:

thanks great I will watch that. One more question and that's it Dave. when I pull the agitator off to expose the spanner nut , then remove the nut . Is there a lock ring that needs to be removed after removing the spanner nut and then the tub will come off the drive block ?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Once the spanner nut is off the tub pulls up and off the drive block and there is no other locking ring. I think that is shown in the video for the drive block. Let me know if you have problems locating the problem.

Customer:

thanks Dave you have been a great help !

Appliance Tech Dave :

You are well. Best wishes. Dave

Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore