Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

freezer is running low temps, fridge running high

Customer Question

freezer is running low temps, fridge running high on a Frigidaire GLHS66EJ. Damper assembly / vent problem was what was suggested.  Will that have to be replaced or can I clean it up and it may work again? Where can I order parts from without being a repair person?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Frigidaire and Electrolux service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

When you say the freezer is running low temps do you mean that the freezer is cooling too much? Or is where it should be? And ref temp is warming up?

Customer:

yes, freezer is running at about -20 when set at 3 and fridge running at 45-50 when set at 30

Jon :

and yes, if the damper in the divide is either clogged with ice or is faulty altogether, then yes, you can try to repair it. And if that doesn't work I can lead you to a few places where you can order the parts needed. Even at a discounted price.

Customer:

I cleaned off the ice that was on the vent on the fridge side, but that did not help. I only have to remove the panel and go from there?

Jon :

ok. on your machine, the ref temp setting is the most important setting. So when you set it to 30 degrees you have actually set it too low or too cold. Since this machine makes all the cold in the freezer portion then distributes the cold air to the ref section, if you have set the ref temp too low, at 30 degrees, this will cause the freezer to get too cold. Giving you the -20 degree temps and thus cause too much ice. And that much ice will choke off the cold air that would be sent from the freezer to the ref to stop. thus giving you the warmer then usually temps in the ref section.

Customer:

freezer is set at 4 and fridge at 38. Haven't moved from there in at least a week

Jon :

basically what you want to do here before checking or working on any parts is defrost the freezer section either with a hair dryer. or unpluggging the ref for 3 days to allow it to properly defrost. then plug it back in again and set freezer temp to 0 and ref temp to 37. and let it run for about a day.

Jon :

if you have done this and still the temps are way off then you need a new cold control before the damper assembly.

Jon :

the cold control should accurately sense the real feel temp of the freezer and ref temps. so if the ref temp is set at 38 and the freezer at 0, it will keep and hold at those temps. not go way beyond them like it is doing now.

Customer:

I have the parts diagram in front of me. You are suggesting I replace the Box control, #20?

Customer:

I mean #17

Jon :

let em check the parts now. is the last two digits of your model a b or w?

Customer:

b

Customer:

i think it is 23 now that I am seeing the rest of it

Jon :

ok. thank you.

Jon :

no the control you need is

Jon :

#23

Customer:

just to clarify, the freezer is definitely colder than it should be and the fridge is not cooling enough

Customer:

in addition to the displayed temps

Jon :

part numberNNN-NN-NNNN this is the board just behind part 17

Jon :

yes, that is common with this complaint.

Jon :

do you see a lot of ice and frost on the back of the freezer wall? on the inside of the freezer cabinet. You may have to remove the food to get a clear look. look at the middle of the freezer section.

Customer:

yeah, all my freezer food is over frozen

Jon :

if you see a lot of ice and frost building up there then you first have to defrost the machine properly. You may not need any parts at all this way.

Customer:

I have part number, XXXXXXXXX on my sheet. It is for GLHSS66EJSB0

Customer:

Freezer is pretty loaded up as well. Suggest I remove everything and then wait how long?

Jon :

I have the most up to date part numbers coming directly from electrolux. The part number you have has been replaced withNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Jon :

and yes, it is for you exact model number.

Customer:

ok, thanks for that correction

Jon :

yes, definitely suggest removing all food from the ref and put in another one if you have it. Then unplug the ref for about 3 days to allow for proper defrost of the evaporator in the freezer section and the center divide.

Jon :

you are very welcome for the correction. That is what I am here for.

Jon :

do you need to know where to get he control? even though I suggest defrosting the machine first for the three days?

Customer:

ok, I will have to figure out how to make this happen.

Customer:

sure I will take the info on parts purchase

Jon :

If you cant turn the machine off for three days and keep you food cold alternatively, then you can remove the food from the freezer only and remove the evaporator cover in the back of the freezer section to expose the evaporator coils that are all frozen over so you can take a hair dryer to defrost them quicker.

Jon :

but doing so this way, please make sure that you properly defrost all the ice on the evap. should take about an hour to do so.

Jon :

just fan the hair dryer over the ice and keep it about 6 inches away from the ice so you dont melt the plastic. and please fan it evenly so you will not be there sooo long.

Customer:

thanks

Jon :

and i would suggest keeping some towels handy and place them in the bottom of the freezer cabinet to collect the water from defrosting the evap.

Jon :

then after defrosting the machine place the food back in the freezer and reset the cold control temp to 0 for freezer and 37 or 38 in ref and let it run that way for 24 hours. and if the problem returns come back to me here and I will help you more.

Jon :

you are very welcome for the help. that is what i am here for.

Customer:

unplug the fridge while doing this?

Jon :

if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions please come back here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

yes. unplug the ref while defrosting the machine.

Jon :

doing so will also reset the temp control too.

Customer:

ok. thanks for your help. Can you still send me the link for parts?

Jon :

you got it. coming right now.

Jon :

here is one link to the parts supplier and the part you need. just click on the image below

Jon :

here is another.

Customer:

awesome. Thanks so much for your help. This is all great info. Have to run, but will follow up if this does not solve it.

Jon :

you got it. please come back here if you have any other questions to.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Max,

thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please come back to me here if you have more questions or concerns about this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge.

And please come back here to tell me how the machine is running after the defrosting of the evaporator.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Jon,

Tried something one thing out that worked out for me that I wanted to share. I dropped the freezer temp to its lowest setting (-5) from the +4 I had it at and fridge at 38 and overnight it corrected itself!. Have been gradually raising one degree per day to get to zero on freezer. So far so good. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Max,

Just be very careful when adjusting the temps that low. You don't want the ref to over cool.

Glad it is working for though. Just keep an eye on it for the next week or so. And if you need me again just come back here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks.