Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi, I have a whirlpool dishwasher model GU1500XTLB3. The

I have a whirlpool dishwasher model GU1500XTLB3. The light above the 'normal' button is flashing and there are 2 dashes in the time indicatior. Nothing works and I can't clear it.

I read elsewhere and tried pushing the 'hi temp' 'air dry' 'hi temp' air dry' sequence with no change.

Any suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the flashing light over top the normal button is actually an error code. Unfortunately you can't just reset this issue with a sequence of buttons because you have a faulty touchpad. You can try to turn the circuit breaker off for 60 seconds to see if the electronics will reset, but that usually doesn't work when you get this problem. The touch control panel itself needs to be replaced to fix this issue. Below is a link to the touchpad you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for touchpad

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this something I can replace myself? Will the new toughpad come with step by step installation instructions?

Definitely. If you're handy you can definitely replace it yourself. Below is a video that shows you the process for the most part on how to remove and separate the touchpad in case you wanted to replace it yourself.

CLICK HERE for video
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Are you confident that I do not also need a new control module?

Aye. There is no reason to believe that you need a new control module, but there is no way to test it and know if it's 100% good until the touchpad is replaced either.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

If it needs a new control panel, what does that cost?

Could I also have a problem with the latch? A time shows up for a brief flash as I close the door then returns to the double dash. If the latch needs replacing, what does that cost?

Are there videos for these also?

That latch would not cause this problem. Just the touchpad. I gave you a link to the touchpad before which has all that information, but the cost is about $140. As for a video, I already gave you a video on how to replace the touchpad so are you asking about one for the latch? If so, that same video applies but you wouldn't need to replace the latch for this problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

I was asking about the cost of the control module & a video showing the procedure, if that should need replacing after the touchpad has been replaced.

The part link that you gave me does not show the control module with the touchpad, so I assume that is an additional part. Correct?

That is correct, that is a completely different part and also about $150, but there is no reason why you should need to replace this. The error code you're getting is a faulty touchpad--not a bad control board.