Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

We have a Maytag dishwasher, model # XXXXX less than

We have a Maytag dishwasher, model # XXXXX less than two years old. Our power went out during a storm, and the dishwasher had been running. When the power returned, the Start/Resume button was blinking, but it wouldn't restart when we pressed this button, and neither would it cancel. I was about to call the Maytag man when we ran across something on the internet that said to press hi temp wash, heated dry, hi temp wash, heated dry to *I think* run a diagnostic. This, however, restarted the machine and it ran its cycle. So, we thought the problem was fixed. Today, my husband went to start the dishwasher and again, the machine wouldn't start when Start was pressed. Again, we hit hi temp wash, heated dry, hi temp wash, heated dry, and this time it appeared to run through some sort of diagnostic cycle for about 2 min before it stopped and all of the indicator lights came on. They're not blinking - just on. And the machine will respond to nothing.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Will it allow you to go into diagnostics still though?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I do that same sequence of hi temp wash heated dry hi temp wash heated dry, it does nothing.

Ann,
Have you checked the breaker to the dishwasher to see if it is popped?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The breaker did not pop. All of the lights are still on on the machine. Should we switch the breaker off, then back on and see if that helps?

Turn it off at the breaker for 5 minutes and turn on the power again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. When we turned the breaker back on, all the lights were off. I normally the auto clean plus cycle. I pressed that button, but when I pressed Start, it did nothing. The auto clean plus cycle indicator light just switched off.

press the test routine on the keypad now and see what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's beginning to run through the same process as before. The indicator lights switch from rinse only to normal, dry and wash. The Start light remains on. It's still going through this process.

Leave it run until it stops then try one last time to see if you can start a normal cycle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Once again, all of the indicator lights are on and the control panel won't respond to anything.

You have a short in the keypad causing the problem, pretty common on these keypads they use, not hard to replace, takes about 20 minutes to do.. you can order a replacement keypad by clicking on the blue link below

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The link brings me to a white touchpad and we have a black dishwasher. I couldn't find the black touchpad on this sight. Could you possibly direct me to a different sight with the correct part? Also, it says this part is back ordered until October. Do the directions come with the part for installation?

Sorry about that.

Click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help, and I'm sorry, but do you know if the part comes with directions on how to complete the repair?

It does not come with directions, but if you open the door you will see screws going all the way around, once you remove the screws the inner door will lift up allowing you to replace the touch panel, not real complicated...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I see that. Do you know what type of screws these are? It looks somewhat like you would use an allen wrench, but not quite. They look almost star or asterisk * shaped. What would I need to unscrew them?

they are called TORX and the size is a T15, they cost about $3 at a hardware store for the tool.