Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a GE profile series PS123NSTA SV. when you open the

I have a GE profile series PS123NSTA SV. when you open the refrigerator door, the temperature controls for the refrigerator and the freezer are there. the Freezer currently reads 25, the refrigerator currently reads 47. the ice cream and items in the freezer are not actually solid. i cant get it to cool down. i have already removed the lower panel in the back and blown out the dust to no avail. any recommendations?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Can you open the freezer door, look behind the shelf's at the lower panel inside the freezer, need to know if you see any frost on that panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

standby

Ill be here :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is frost on the back panel

Ok thanks Chon, the problem here is the defrost system has failed,

You will need to take the food out of the freezer and put it in a ice chest, next unplug the unit and take the shelf's out of the freezer. Remove the lower panel on the inside rear of the freezer, Once the panel is out you will see the evaporator (looks like a radiator on a car), this is going to be caked with frost/ice, thaw the ice/frost with a hair dryer. Once you have done this you will see the defrost heater looped below the evaporator. Test the heater with a ohm meter, If it reads open then it will need to be replaced.

If the heater tests good (reads continuity) then the defrost thermostat/sensor will need to be replaced. This is located clipped to the top corner of the evaporator.

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.