Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

After coming back home from a weekend getaway we discovered

After coming back home from a weekend getaway we discovered our Amana refrigerator's (Model # XXXXX) touchpad was no longer lit up/displaying and that neither the water dispenser or ice dispenser were functioning. The lights came on inside the unit when we opened either the refrigerator doors or the freezer drawer and everything seemed to be cool/frozen and although the unit did not "sound as if it was on" we thought the compressor might just be off at the time. However, the next morning we could tell that the refrigerator was not cooling as it should as things in the freezer were defrosting and the refrigerator was warming up. It seems the only thing that is working is the door light. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Can I get the complete model number of the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but I am not home at the moment. This is the model number I got from my wife (AFI2538AEW). I will be home in about 30 minutes and will then be working from a different computer. Is there a way I will be able to connect with you then with the full model number and serial number if needed?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I will be here, I will eed the serial number and if there are any other letters or numbers on the end of model you gave me... Just respond back to this link...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chas - the serial number is XXXXX There are no additional numbers/letters following the model number I gave you listed on the sticker located inside the refrigerator. This is an Amana by Whirlpool purchased in 2008.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Anthony,
This is a main control board failure, this is not a hard repair however it is not a cheap one either, to replace the board you will need to pull the fridge out, and you will see a metal access panel, this board is located underneath it, takes about 10 minutes to replace the board and another 10 minutes to program it, the programming instructions will come with the board.. Click on the blue link below to order it..

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider reply and tell me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Chas -

I hope you are not upset by this, but we had a local service repair man out from the store where we bought the refrigerator. I was unfortunately unable to talk with him as he was only able to speak with my wife. From what I understand from my wife is that he felt it was for sure that at least 1 part was bad (which costs around $200) and that it would take a week to get here. However, according to him, it may or may not actually be the full problem as he would only know after replacing that part and if it didn't work when he replaced it, then it is likely to be some additional part that he says is "unavailable" at this time. Based on where he told my wife this first part was located on the refrigerator I believe he is referring to the "Low Voltage Dispenser Control Board" located behind the touchpad panel. I can't imagine what this other part is that he is referring to. Are you convinced that it is the high voltage board on the back and not the one on the front? Thanks for your help in this.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I worked for Amana and for Whirlpool for many years, I have only seen on L.V. board bad in all the time I have done them, Power is supplied from the Main Board, if the L.V. Board failed the unit would go into default mode, and you could not change anything, however if the Main board goes out the only thing that will work is the lights... I can understand your apprehension on this as it is a lot of money.. I have one of the first ones ever made, Maytag Ice2O which is what this really is.. I have had to replace the main board twice since 2005
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chas -
I just got the board in and replaced. When I plugged the refrigerator back in it kicked on. The display panel reads "PE0/000." You said when the board came it would come with instructions to program. It didn't... any thoughts?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
No problem, give me 5 minutes and I will get you the instructions for it...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
If you have any questions I will be here for about 1 more hour...

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Worked like a charm! Thanks for your help. Excellent service.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Aren't you glad you listened to me?????

Chas...

Register Here