Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Hi Mike! I have a Kenmore 70 Series gas dryer, which is having

Hi Mike! I have a Kenmore 70 Series gas dryer, which is having some problems. Last week it would only start for a second and automatically shut-off. I pulled it out from the wall, disconnected the discharge hose, tested it and it worked fine. Therefore I narrowed the problem to a clog in the discharge line. I vacuumed out the lint clogging the vent hose through the wall, and the dryer worked fine for a week (~3 uses). Then yesterday it started having the same problem, so I disconnected the discharge hose and tested the dryer, but this time it still had the same problem. Starting for 1 second and then stopping. So I removed the back panel, removed the shield behind the lint trap to inspect it for a lint blockage, but no blockage was found. I then plugged the dryer back in to test if the dryer would work without the shield in place. To my surprise the dryer started up fine and ran for 30 minutes producing hot air and tumbling. Apparently just by removing the exhaust shield. Therefore, I replaced the exhaust shield and tested it again. The dryer still worked, tumbling and drying. However, at this moment when I was about to unplug the dryer again and install the back panel to call it a day the back panel fell over and arced across the thermostat... Now the dryer runs fine with no heat. I assume I now need a new thermostat, but do you have any ideas about the original problem of the dryer only starting for a second and then stopping?

Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

when you say it ran for a few seconds do you mean the heat or the enitre machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The entire machine, it would maybe rotate the dryer once, then stop

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok your original problem was likely with the lid switch or the thermal fuse shorting, I suspect the problem is not totally solved and rather then look for problems in the airflow look for a loose wire or more commonly the door switch malfunctioning.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As for the arcing problem... do you have any suggestion for testing the thermostat? Can I bypass it to confirm that that is the issue keeping the dryer from heating?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
does the thermostat you mean have 4 or 2 terminals?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

4 terminals, like you have posted in this post

http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/7jw74-kenmoore-70-series-dryer-won-t-start-timer.html

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok without heat there is not going to be a way to test it, Try testing the part right next to it with a ohm meter, pull the wires off, if it reads open then it's your problem. The thermostat is fairly cheap so If the thermal fuse is good I would go ahead and replace it if you are sure you arc'd it.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.