Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

What causes coils to burn extra hot and turn red? Do I need

What causes coils to burn extra hot and turn red? Do I need new coil or piece coil plugs into? Have a Whirlpool Super Capacity 466
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you please explain what you mean exactly? To me you're describing how the heating coils normally work. When they heat, they always turn red.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, normally these do not normally turn red. The two larger ones turn 'bright' red on a medium setting really fast and if we're not there, the food will burn really quick. They get so hot, we have to turn them off right away.

OK so the only thing that controls the burners is the switches themselves. These are the switches that your knobs attach to which you turn to adjust the temperature. The burners themselves just heat when the switch sends them power. So if there is a problem with them heating too much, the switch would be the part that needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a way to check for sure? I thought it might be the coils themselves or the part they plug in to. I do not want to replace switches only to find out that is not the problem.

The burners can't possibly cause this problem. You can test continuity through the coils if you wanted to check the burners anyways, but you'll need the schematic on the machine somewhere and then you'll need to test resistance through the elements to see if they have the correct resistance based on what the schematic tells you it should be. If it's off by more than 10%, it would need to be replaced. Otherwise you need a new switch.