Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Maytag Performa washer, bangs immedediatly after switching

Maytag Performa washer, bangs immedediatly after switching to agitator after filling in wash cycle when agitator comes on. The banging returns during the rinse cycle when the agitator turns on again. What is wrong? The noise is loud rat-a-tat. spin cycle ia a bit noisy but not like other cycles, even tough the agitator is spinning, no rat-a-tat.
Any advise.
XXXXX XXXXX [email protected]
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Hello George, can you give me the model number from the sticker under the lid please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No model # XXXXX XXXXX under lid. It says always give model number and serial number when writing about this item (washer). Sorry it may be in back but I cant move it. What's next?

George

Well it sounds like to me that one or more of your suspension springs has broken, You would need to grab a putty knife, slide it in the gap between the top and front panel about 3 inches from each end.

graphic

Once the front panel is off check the springs there should be 4 spaced around the base of the tub. If the springs are good run the machine with the front panel off to see where the banging is coming from.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike, I followed your instructions and found springs in good shape. In removing front cover I had to move washer away from back wall. Washer is mounted on 2" high wooden platform and front end of washer moved off the platform. I shimed and releveled washer, turned it on.......Agitator noise gone! Its obvious now that washer was not level in agitator noisy position on wooden platform. Your advise to remove front cover, check springs forced me to relevel for test run, move washer back on platform and relevel.

PROBLEM SOLVED!! Thank you Mike for forcing me into using my brain. The cost $50 is much less than calling a service man and paying god know what for this easy fix , thanks again.

XXXXX XXXXX

Your welcome George!

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.