Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a Samsung RF217ACWP that is about 16 months old. 1.

Customer Question

I have a Samsung RF217ACWP that is about 16 months old.

1. Recently it has started collecting water in the left side drawer of the refrigerator (not the freezer). Can you give me a clue as to what the problem might be.

2. This refrigerator is also extremely noisy - popping and cracking. Sometimes wakes me up at night. Is there anything I can do to quiet it?

Thanks,
M. Meares
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 11 months ago.

Hello Marilyn my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Give me a few minutes to upload a file for you.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Do you need more info? I am not seeing any questions from you.

Well there is one I could ask but I am still sure about where the water is coming from and what is causing the popping. I am sure the popping has been going on since the date of purchase. I have repaired refrigerators with that problem as well. But to the question I have.

Has there been a door open in the recent past that was not closed by accident?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No door left open. I have dumped up to 1/2 inch of water out of this drawer at least 4 times in the last two weeks.

Maryln there is a drain that is clogged behind the wall of the fresh food section. There is a file below and there are 2 pages. There are arrows at the top of the pages so you may select 1 then 2. This will help you get the rear wall off and in the last image arrowed is a drain. That drain needs to be cleared of ice then some water either forced through it or poured down it. Usually after the ice is removed you can just pour it. If you have to force it you can use a turkey baster.

The popping is the noise of the coolant where it is liquid and gas mixed and the pop you hear is when the gas pops through into the cold coils in the freezer and in the fresh food section. That is the nature of the design of the refrigerator and the type of coolant used. I was instructed by one manufacturer to add a little nitrogen, 1 psi to take care of the noise. The customer had the refrigerator on one side of the wall, his headboard on the other side of the same wall. The customer did inform me that procedure did work. You will need to find a tech with an EPA license to add the nitrogen for you. You cannot do that work.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FILE.

If you have any questions at all Marilyn please ask. If not then please leave a rating for me.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have the angle cap off, and there is ice behind it. I am also only finding two screws on the wall. Are you sure you sent the correct model picture?

Some have 2 screws at the bottom and one at the top hidden under the cover in the image. If you have those out and that wall will not move then it is frozen in place. The only safe way to remove it is to unplug it from the wall outlet, open the doors and let it defrost for a few hours until you can get it loose. I just do not like the idea of heating the plastic because it may twist or buckle. Also if you can see the ice the drain is exactly what is wrong.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So there is a screw behind that ice I found under the cap? OK I have unplugged the unit and now need to let it melt a little. Will you be around later? Thanks.

You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity.

I sure will be here, about 5 hours more but not much after that. Save this page to your favorites/bookmarks and when you post I get a notification. Let me post last that way I get it.

At the top of that rail in the center of the rear wall is a cap and a screw should be under that small cap.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

One more question for now. Would it fix itself if I just let the entire fridge defrost?

Thanks.

That is very possible, most times all that causes the problem on a refrigerator that new is a lot of warmth being introduced into the system. A door left open a while is the most common cause for a refrigerator of that age.

Its really not possible for things to get in there or algae to grow in the drain because that takes a lot more years than 2, usually 8 or more.

Another thing that can happen is the power can go off at the wrong time. This will interrupt the cycle that keeps the coils frost free behind that wall and could cause water to freeze over the drain.

Every frost free refrigerator has a defrost cycle and a cooling cycle. Yours not being timed mechanically but operated by a control board, a loss of power could change the cycle from one to the other at the wrong time.

Again Marilyn if you have any questions please ask.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So I think I am going to just let it defrost for a few hours. What do I need to know about starting it back up?

Nothing special, just turn it off and unplug it from the wall outlet so the lights do not stay on. Then plug it back in and put the settings back where you normally keep them. If it does not start right away just close it up and leave it alone for 45 minutes Marilyn and it will start.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

And I do not have to worry about the possibility of having stopped it at the wrong time in the cycle? I am not completely understanding your explanation of how it might have happened. That is ok I just want it to not happen again if possible.

The difference is it will be for several hours which will be enough time for the water to finish dripping from the coils and not freezing the drain over. Not a short outage which can restart the refrigerator into the cooling cycle at the wrong time. Even a flicker can change what a control board was doing before the flicker. It does not take much at all.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks so much! You have been great. If I rate you now will I lose you? I have this conversation bookmarked as you suggested.

No you will not lose me Marilyn, you can reply with followup questions. Tomorrow I will be in and out but I will know when you have replied. I will see that on my phone. I have a cheap phone so it is very difficult to reply with but I will make it my goal to get to a computer as soon as I can and followup with you. As far as I know, tomorrow I will be in and out. Then the 11th I will be out from around 12pm til 4pm. Those are the only 2 days I expect to be out short of an emergency.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

HI Barry,

We conversed last week about my Samsung fridge with a frozen drainage line and water collecting in the drawer. All was well for a few days after I unplugged the refrigerator and let it thaw out before turning it back on. Yesterday the water started to collect in the drawer again. I took the tab off the back where the first screw is and yes, it was iced up again. Evidently I need find the cause for this icing up.

Thanks.
xxxxxxx xxxxxx

Hi Marilyn, may I ask has anyone found a door open even a little bit?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I think the door alarm came on once but I was in the room and it had only been open long enough to set the alarm off. Not long and not very open.

I understand, that is not long enough. It sounds like there is a sensor that is not reading exactly as it should. Is there someone there or someone you know who has an ohm meter?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I can get an ohm meter but probably not until tomorrow afternoon.

There is a part attached to those coils that has most always yellow wires. I will be here tomorrow and it would be great if you could disconnect that part and take a reading..I will help you test it. Just give me a shout and tomorrow will be fine, or the days after.

Thank you,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK does this mean I will be going into that panel on inside back of refrigerator? Same place you instructed me to go before but I chose to let it defrost on its on?

Yes that place... I'll help you I believe you can do it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks. I am not quitting on this. I will contact you when I have the ohm meter and the cover off.

You are very welcome Marilyn, I hoped that you would not because I have the confidence that at the very least we get to learn and that is cool!

Have a great night,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Barry,

I now have the ohm meter and am ready to tear into my Samsung. Are you there?

Marilyn

Yes I am here. If you look at the rear inside of the fresh food section there are 2 or 3 screws at the bottom. Remove those. Let me know when you get that far

Inside at the rear wall.

Barry

Inside at the very rear wall Marilyn,,,all the way to the back.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK I have the two screws on the bottom and the one under the tab out, but can not get the cover off. Are there other screws? It seems to be hung up at the place where the screw under the tab was. Could it be frozen in there? I had to chip ice away to get the screw out.

The whole cover is tucked up under the ceiling of the fridge. Is there some secret to getting that part unhooked? Are there any screws in the upper part? I can not see them.

Yes it could be frozen in place. Up at the top there in the center did you find that screw?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The one under the tab?

Yes that one.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

All screws are out. As I said it is tucked up into the back edge of the ceiling of the interior. I can not get it off. I can pull it out from the bottom and see a styro-foam layer. Do I need to get behind that?

I need clear instructions as to how to get the plastic cover off.

Thanks.

Its frozen in place......leave it alone for a while and let it thaw. Yes that is the screw....I have a sheet somewhere to help you,,,,, let me go look for it.

I have a sheet somewhere to help you,,,,, let me go look for it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is the styro-foam supposed to come off with the cover? It feel like it might be frozen.

Yes it comes off too,, let it thaw a while.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How long are you going to be around?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK it is off! What is next?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Barry,

I have it open. Please tell me what the next step is. Thanks!
Marilyn

Look at the top of those coils, do you see a part with 2 wires? They are usually yellow. Set a meter to ohms, any ohm setting and put one lead to each connection. What is the reading?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

With the meter on X1K the reading is 3.5.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

With the probes positioned in the place where the wires come out of the component (small blue box) it reads 3.5.

Then I pulled the component out and put the components into the side that was connected to the refrigerator and it reads about 6.

That is not a bad reading, there is another part there. Its attached to the coils as well, can you get that reading?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK there is a white box with three wires. There are four holes. Red and black wire are side by side and it reads 2.5. White is in the hole above red and they read 20.0 - 25.0.

Dang, thats all good. Marilyn are you sure, absolutely sure a door was not left open?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes. I have been very mindful of keeping it closed! If it was door open it would have happened a long time ago. When I first got the fridge - was not used to the french doors and sometimes it would get left open, but always closed when alarm sounded.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

There is also a 6 hole part with 4 wires. Should I try that one?

I don't know, I wish I did but I don't. I will relist your question Marilyn. There is a chance that someone may see something I missed and post a reply, if they do not and you get no replies contact customer service. I really appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK. Are we talking about hours or days?

Thanks.