Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Hi, we have a Maytag dishwasher, model MDB 7609AWW2. My wife

Hi, we have a Maytag dishwasher, model MDB 7609AWW2. My wife was washing canning jars and stopped it mid cycle to remove the jars. After closing the door she hit start/resume but it did not respond. Cancel/drain did not work either. After checking the door latch, tripping and resetting the circuit breaker, and trying numerous keypad combinations I ordered and replaced the main control board.
After turning on the circuit breaker and selecting normal wash, the normal wash and heated dry lights come on but when I press start/ resume, the start/resume light does not come on and nothing happens. The lights go out after about 20 seconds. Trying the other cycles gives me the same result, the cycle light and the heated dry light comes on but nothing else happens.
If I try cycling between high temp wash, heated dry all of the lights come on but they will not reset when I hit Cancel/drain. After a few seconds, all of the lights except the normal wash, heated dry light go out and the dishwasher makes noise like it is going to wash the dishes but does not start filling with water. After a few more seconds the normal wash light goes out and the dry light comes on and there is a sound like solenoid? operating. Again, after a few seconds, the lights switch back to wash and this cycling happens about 3 or 4 times. Then all the lights come on and will not reset until I turn the circuit breaker off and back on.
Both the fill and drain lines seem fine and nothing in the tub appears jammed or plugged.
Is there anything else I might try before I call a repair man?
Larry
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you tell me if you have any lights lit or blinking on the control panel now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, All the lights on the control panel are on at this time.

Ok larry which control did you replace? the one with the buttons on it or the main control board?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The main control board. To reset the lights I have been turning off the circuit breaker, waiting a few seconds, and then turning it back on. after I do this all of the lights are out.

Ok Larry, I fear you have replaced the wrong part, Sounds very much to me like a button has shorted on the control panel causing this problem. The panel will need to be replaced. To do this open the door, Take the screws out from around the inner liner then pull the panel out, swap the control board and lock assembly to the new control panel.

Click here to order the replacement part

I would like to earn your highest rating Larry, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike, I'm sure you're right but that leaves me with some additional questions.

From your experience, how likely is it that I will have to replace both modules? If I have to do that would I be better off buying a new dishwasher since it will cost more than half of what we paid for this one in 2010 and we will have no warranty?

If we do replace the dishwasher do you have any suggestions? something reasonably priced, reliable and with a good warranty?

Larry

No you can send the old control board back, the control panel is the part you want (very common issue)

If you decide to buy new I would go with whirlpool all day long, they are the most reliable and if something does go wrong are cheap to repair.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi Larry,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I've ordered the control panel and will install it when it comes in. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Larry

ok thanks larry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I would have got back to you sooner but we've been on vacation.

When the control panel arrived I installed it and the old control board.

the dishwasher ran a load of dishes just fine (My wife thinks the clean light did not come on at the end).

The dishwasher stopped however during the second load ( I think it was just before the final drain) and all the lights went out.

I tried installing the new control board and also jumpered the door switch but their are no lights on and the dishwasher does not respond to any of the buttons. The circuit to the dishwasher is good since the garbage disposal is on the same circuit and it is working fine.

Unless there is an inline fuse or something else easy to try I'm going to try to return the control board and the control panel and get a new dishwasher.

Larry

Try the inline fuse larry, it's hooked up to the control board, Test it with a ohm meter, if it reads open it should be replaced.