Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I am getting ready to add some charge to an old GE refrigerator,

I am getting ready to add some charge to an old GE refrigerator, model TBX22RH. The compressor is still running smoothly, but the evaporator is at about 50 deg. F. There are three service ports, one on the suction side and one on each side of the condenser. I have never seen these types of ports before - they are not the usual schrader-valves - they have an inside thread and what looks like a fluted hex drive. I have photos. What are they and where can I get an adapter to allow me to use my gauges? Thanks.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Could you upload the pictures to and send me a link to them please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is a pic of two of the ports. If you need more, or other angles, I can take them.

Thanks Chris, give me a few minutes to take a look.

Chris those look like factory connections to me. You cannot get gauge connections that will fit those. What you will need to do is solder a low side connection after removing the stub from the compressor. That is the process stub that is left that goes nowhere. Remove that stub. Insert a solder on valve and solder it in there. Be sure to remove the schrader valve first and then reinsert it only after the joint has cooled. You only need to use that side to evacuate and add coolant. If you are charging a R12 compressor charge it to 11 psi with the refrigerator operating. If you are charging an R134a compressor charge it to 1 psi with it operating.

If you have questions please ask. If not then please leave a rating for me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is still some R12 in the unit, since it still runs and cools slightly. I was hoping to not have to release it. Do you think a saddle valve is a good option instead of evacuation?

Yes it is a good option for a refrigerator of that age. I would not second guess that choice at all Chris. I kind of thought it was R12 because it had been so long since I had seen those type of connnections. But yes I agree that is a good decision.