Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

GE refrigerator GSS25JFM wont cool properly. Was making loud

GE refrigerator GSS25JFM won't cool properly. Was making loud noise few months ago, the noise went away and then the freezer/refrigerator wasn't cold. If there was ice build up, it already melted before I removed panel in back of freezer. I've replaced the defrost thermostat and heater bracket assembly. Now the freezer only freezes at the bottom and the refrigerator is very cold at the bottom, too cold where things are slightly frozen. Huge differences in temps from top to bottom. What would be the next thing for me to check? Thank you, karen
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the fan over top of the silver coils inside the freezer running? It sounds like the fan isn't running to circulate the air. The fact that the unit was really noisy before it failed also indicates that the fan motor was going out. The real problem is that often times when the fan motor goes bad, it can short out the main control board as well on this particular model. But, you won't know until you replace the fan motor if you end up needing a control board as well. There is one thing that would indicate that your control board is bad. It doesn't always fail in this manner, but if you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the 8" x 10" sheet metal access panel on the back, you can see the control board. Sometimes there is a resistor that will look completely black and brown and burnt. If you see that, order both the control board and the evaporator fan motor inside the freezer and replace them both. Otherwise, just replace the fan to start.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!