Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My KitchenAid Aquasense refrigerator is about six years old.

My KitchenAid Aquasense refrigerator is about six years old. The freezer is not getting cold enough to keep ice cream frozen. We have always kept the freezer temp adjustment around 3, we have cranked it up to 7 over the past few days but it still doesn't get very cold. I put a glass with a thermometer inside and left it several hours. Ice was forming on the top and upper sides but the thermometer registered 40. (It's a meat thermometer, not sure how accurate at low temps.)
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section. Also, is the refrigerator temperature normal even though the freezer is a bit warm?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model Number KSRP25FSMS01

We haven't noticed a problem with the refrigerator.

Ok perfect, so you don't have a thermostat problem or a defrost problem if the refrigerator section is normal. So the first thing you need to do is pull the entire refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel. Is the fan next to the compressor running down below the refrigerator?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have refrigerator out and back panel off. Nothing is running--how to get compressor/fan to run?

Is the fan inside the freezer running right now? Or is the entire unit 100% silent? Also, if you touch the compressor is it room temperature, blazing hot, or warm?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Opened door, freezer started running, fan is running.

I don't have a picture, the compressor is on the left, correct? The sides are warm, I can hold my hand on them. The top is pretty hot, I can touch it but I don't think I'd want to hold my hand on it.

OK so the problem is that your fan next to the compressor isn't running. That causes the compressor to overheat. You need to test and make sure the condenser fan motor is getting 120 volts if you have a multimeter. If so and it won't run, you need to replace the condenser fan motor. If you don't have a multimeter to test, just order and replace the condenser fan motor. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for condenser fan motor

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, fan is running rapidly

OK so the fan is running then... I thought you just said that it wasn't running. Either way, if the freezer is still that warm and the condenser fan is running, this means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to test the freon pressure to make sure you don't have a freon leak, or replace the compressor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shaking the overload relay. How loud is the rattle? It seems like there is a very tiny rattle, is that normal?

A tiny pinging is normal usually. If it sounds like broken glass then that would be a bad relay.