Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The panel light on our Bosch SHX46L16UC/36 went out and we

The panel light on our Bosch SHX46L16UC/36 went out and we are unable to run our dishwasher. We have cleaned the filter and removed the impellar to look for anything stuck. I believe something was stuck and it burnt something out. We live in Bradford, PA and are looking for a good local repair man or a part. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Maggie Copeland
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

First, there are no reset buttons or anything that you can just push to get the dishwasher working again. If you're certain that there is power getting to the dishwasher, remove the kick panel below the dishwasher and look for the 3" x 3" sheet metal box with the wire connections in it.  Turn the circuit breaker off to the dishwasher or unplug the dishwasher before servicing.  Remove the cover plate and look at the wire connections to see if any of the wires in the junctions box have shorted out.  If they have been shorted or melted, you'll need to cut them back and re-wire them.  If you find nothing at all wrong with the connections, then your control board is just shorted for one reason or another and the control board inside the door will need to be ordered and replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your response. Is there any way to tell that is what it is? Is there a way to test it to make sure it is the problem before we order a replacement part? Also, could it be anything else? What might cause it to go bad.

Unfortunately you can't test the control board itself. That is why you would need to test and make sure that the dishwasher itself is getting 120 volts to the junction box where the power cord connects. If so, then your control board is bad. There is really nothing else that can cause the entire control panel to be 100% dead other than the control board or the dishwasher not getting power. Usually there is no reason why the control board shorts out, it's just bad luck or poor manufacturing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

One last symtpom...the impellar "clicks" as though it is trying to go around although it is unable to go around. This occurs when we set the dishwasher to the "on" cycle...but still - there are no lights on the panel, etc. You still think it is the control panel?

Aye. If nothing is running and the control panel has no lights---there is nothing other than the control panel or lack of power to cause those conditions.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.