Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

thermador sgc304rs if there is a bad potentiometer on one of

thermador sgc304rs if there is a bad potentiometer on one of the valves will the valve when opened still be able to click at the burner
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So yes. If you have a bad potentiometer, it can fail in numerous ways including allowing the burner to still spark but no gas comes through. Keep in mind that potentiometers are ONLY on the extra low simmer burners, but if it's not an extra low simmer burner then the potentiometer is not your problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so a bad potentio meter will not allow the gas to flow at all but still spark at the burner? on the low simmer burner

That is correct. It can fail in numerous ways, but that is probably the most common way that it fails.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

doc if its on a burner that is not a low simmer burner and the igniter head is loose but still clicks and is getting gas would the problem most likely be the igniter head or a clogged burner port then ???

Most likely that would be a bad burner head or something with the gas not flowing properly. Possibly the burner needs to be cleaned.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what about the initer head if that is loose that could also just be the problem too right if the burner ports weren't clogged ?

I have never seen that be a problem before. I wouldn't even know how the interior head would get lose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is a clip that holds that igniter head in place under the cooktop I believe. it shows one in the parts description search for this model.

all I know at this point till tomorrow was that the spark igniter head was supposedly loose Doc. on one of the burners and it was sparking but not igniting the gas wich I was told it was getting to the burner. Which burner I don't know yet but from what you have explained so far I will be able to diagnose the low simmer burner if it is that burner in question.

Aye, it should be. It's really the only one that can cut out gas. The non-simmer burners only have a standard gas valve that opens when you turn the knob so that likely wouldn't be a problem and if it was--you'd just need a new gas valve if it wasn't getting gas.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I think im getting it now on the standard burners it will either be a clogged burner or badly positioned igniter head if the burner is receiving gas and sparking still but not lighting.

Yes, but to remove the burner would be difficult because it has a 6 point size 20mm brass nut down the center that holds it down so it doesn't just come off easy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so also doc if the low simmer burner is receiving a small flow of gas and is sparking but not lighting then it would either be a clogged burner or a badly positioned igniter on the low simmer too and the potentio meter would be fine.

No, an badly positioned system has nothing to do with getting a small flow of gas. EIther you have a clogged burner or bad solenoid gas valve not opening all the way.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im referring to the low simmer burner doc where you get the small flow of gas when selected. at this low simmer burner if the gas flow is there and it is sparking but not igniting then the potentio meter is fine since the gas flow is there correct ? and then since its not igniting, then the only problem could be the burner being clogged or a bad igniter is that correct ?? I hope I am explaining it correctly to you if I am not I apoligize

Yes, I know you're referring to the lower simmer burners. The low simmer burners don't actually go "extra low". The flame is the same as every other burner. They just shut off and turn back on to control the heat. That what the potentiometers do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh! do they shut off and turn on intermittently on their own after the valve has been set ?

Yes, that is how they work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok doc so what is the best way to troubleshoot a bad potentiometer ?

You can't. You go by symptoms. You can't test the potentiometer. If there is really any problem with the simmer burners, then you replace the potentiometers which on some units only comes with the simmer control box as well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is a 4 burner stovetop in which if there are three out of the four burners working properly would that rule out the gas solenoid valve as being a problem for the one burner that is not lighting??

No, that would not. Each burner has it's own gas burner.

It's getting quite late and I'll be logging in the next 5 minutes so if you have any immediate questions I would ask them quickly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok do I have to take all the 20 mm screws out of all of the burners to get the top of this cooktop up ?

Yes. All brass burner nuts would need to be removed in order to lift the top to get underneath to the burner venturies and such.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks for your help doc good night

No problem and you have a good night as well.