Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

side by side refrigerator model QR3117762 with AquaSense filtration

Customer Question

side by side refrigerator model QR3117762 with AquaSense filtration system....it was left open about 15 minutes while cleaning it.....then shut and left for hours. Now the internal lights do not come on, the Open Door light flashes, but none of the other lights - Power, Freezer Temp, Refrigerator Temp, and Remaining Filter % lights do not come on at all. The light on the front of freezer and the water & ice dispenser work fine. No light in the freezer but it is running and things are frozen. HELP - it is FULL of food!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.

Jon :

the internal lights will shut down if the door is left opened for more then five minutes.

Jon :

i first recommend unplugging the machine for five minutes to reset the main control board then pluggin it back in.

Jon :

the lights and the door switch on the door should work fine.

Jon :

if it doesn't then with the door open push in on the door switch and keep it held in for about 30 seconds and tell me if the lights come on when you let the switch go?

Customer:

i can't seem to find a switch for this unit - it has what appear to be electronic "eye beams"

Jon :

if that doesnt work for you then you have shorted out the main control board and door switch by keeping the door opened for a prolonged period of time and will need to be replaced. it happens often believe it or not. doesnt take much to break this one.

Jon :

this is a side by side model, right?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it is side by side

Jon :

the door switch might be a magnet on the top of the door and frame of the ref.

Customer:

i am short so I will get a chair and look right now - one sec

Jon :

ok

Jon :

are your controls inside the ref? or on the outside of the door?

Customer:

this fridge is mounted in the wall

Customer:

it might slide out, i have not triedee

Customer:

however,

Customer:

there is a section above it with a face plate that i just opened

Customer:

I can see the contacts for the internal lights are up there for both frige and freezer

Customer:

i see the power button for on/off is mounted up there, as well.

Customer:

also, I see the BIG plug for the unit plugged into the wall

Customer:

way up top and in the deep deep darkness

Jon :

ok. thank you for that info.

Customer:

the freezer is running and I can feel cold air pumping into that compartment

Customer:

but the freezer light is NOT coming on

Jon :

first i would try pushing in the switches for the lights, those are the door switches. and the door when closed should make contact with those switches. so when the door is opened the lights come on and go off when closed.

Jon :

does the ref side work? do the lights come on ok in the ref side?

Jon :

if after pushing in on the door switches the lights don't come on and off like they should, then unplug the machine for 5 minutes. Then plug it back in and check the lights by opening and closing the door. If the lights come on as normal then the light switches and control just needed to be reset. And you should be good. but if it happens again then you will need to replace the control and door switches.

Jon :

if the lights don't come on at all even after reseting the control by unplugging it then you will need the control and door switches now.

Customer:

ok - i verified that the switches are in fact pushing in all the way and coming out completely; however, when the switch is pushed in completely manually - the Door Open light is STILL flashing

Customer:

oh, and the frige does appear to be running and the lights do not come on

Customer:

so you think I should unplug for 5 minutes, right?

Jon :

ok. then you either have a shorted control or the light and door switches have come loose at the connectors on the top part of the ref. behind the top plastic control. get up on a ladder and remove the screws holding the top control, the plastic piece and take a look at the wired connections in it. If any connections look damaged or disconnected repair them and try it again. fo the connections are good, again replace the control and door switches.

Jon :

yes, unplug for 5 minutes then plug it back in again. if it works fine you are good to go.

Jon :

otherwise, if it doesn't, then remove the top control and check the connections and do as i just said above.

Jon :

please get back to me here if you need more help and I will help you more.

Jon :

Please remember to rate my performance now with ok service or better rating if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions.

Jon :

and if you have more questions even after positively rating me please come back to me here at any time and I will continue helping you for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks. and please let me know how you do.

Customer:

great - thanks - this unit has it's own on/off switch at the power box so I turned it off and will let it sit for 5 minutes. I can't reach the plug because the unit is so deep and getting to the wall is impossible for my alligator arms

Jon :

ah. gotcha. that works fine. just switch it off and keep it off for the five minutes and turn it back on. If you have not messed with any wires lately you'll probably find that the reset should work for you just fine. but if not, pull off the top console and control and check the wiring there. And if all is good there replace the control and door switches.

Jon :

And I'll be here if you need me. In fact you can always come back here to get back in touch with me if you need more help or have more questions. After positively rating me now you can continue chatting with me about this ref for no additional charge.

Jon :

How did you make out with reseting and un plugging or switching off the machine?

Jon :

are you still there?

Jon :

Please let me know how you did. And if you need more help please get back to me here. If you end up needing parts I can get the parts info for you so you can order them cheaply on line.

Jon :

Thanks

Customer:

i am here - i just turned it back on

Customer:

do i open it up now and check the lights?

Customer:

yeah!!! it works!!!

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Debbra,

I am glad you got it back working. I knew the rest would work for you. If this happens again please try this first. And if it that doesn't help please feel free to get back to me here again at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

If you feel that I have done a good job helping you and have saved you time and money please remember bonuses are greatly appreciated. But please don't feel like they are mandatory.

Thanks again for the positive rating.

Have a good night.