Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a kenmoore elite washer and it wont agitate. When

Customer Question

I have a kenmoore elite washer and it won't agitate. When manually commanded to spin, it only makes a short clicking noise. Coupler is fine and no burnt winding smell or oil spill. Could it be the start module. Nothing else has been touched so I'm doubtful it's the harness
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an appliance expert here with the website and I can try to help you today.

Jon :

Do you have the full model number of the washer?

Jon :

Depending on the model it can either be a sensor or the motor or belt. But please get back to me here with the full model number so that way I can bring up the model specific info for your machine and help you better.

Jon :

And if this is a front loader we can also check the door lock as well. just to be sure.\

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dennis,

Still here for you. I have just switched from live chat to question answer format. You can get back to me and respond back to me in the same way as before.

So please first tell me what the full model number of the washer is and we can go from there.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model 20946 991. Type III
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jon. You there?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
sorry.

I am still here for you. let me look it up now be right back.

Thanks
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Model doesnt come come back as good number. can you recheck it for me please?

It usually starts with the three numbers like 570 or 991 110 then has decimal point and more numbers. The model number is XXXXX just behind the door on a sticker on the frame of the washer.

Please check it and get back to me.

Thank you.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dennis,

Does the wash tub spin or move at all during any part of the wash, rinse or spin and drain cycle?

Or does it just not agitate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction Model 110 20946 991 typeIII
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't move at all during any cycles.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
OK.

That is more like it. Thank you. Will look it up for you now.

If the tub is not spinning at during any part of the cycle that is no good my friend. How old is this washer?

Does the washer fill as normal?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I have the model info.

If the washer is filling with water but then does nothing can you try lifting and closing the lid for me please and see if that helps?

You have a top load washer with a lid switch. Which will tell the timer or control of the washer if the lid is open and it will not wash or spin or have the tub rotate at all if it thinks the lid is opened.

It is a common problem on these style washers.
I would check that first.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I would also like for you to give a look at the lid of the washer. If it is bent in or pushed in it may not make good contact with he lid switch when it is closed. So if it is pushed in open the lid and push out on the lid to bang it out then close the lid and restart the machine. If it starts to work then you know that was the issue and just try not to lean on the lid and push it in.

If it doesn't help then we will have to do some more checking.

Do you have multimeter with continuity to do some checking with?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If you know the lid switch is good you will need to tilt the machine back and check the voltage to the motor and see if there is any voltage during the wash cycle?

If there is voltage to the wash motor during the wash cycle but yet the tub is still not spinning or agitating then we know the lid switch is good. And f the motor is either humming or vibrating or is very hot then you need a new motor and coupling.

If the motor doesn't have voltage then we need to replace the lid switch.

Please check that when you get a chance and get back to me here and let me know what you find and I will help you more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked voltage to the motor and verified lid switch s working. Motor is not getting hot. What does they Start Module do?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
How did you check voltage to the motor? And what voltage did you find? and what do you mean start module?

This model has a timer and other cycle selector switches. Can you please tell me what you are referring to the start module as?

If there is power to the motor and full power but yet the motor is not starting then the motor is the problem. And will need to be replaced.

But if no power or not full power to the motor then you need to replace the timer and micro computer.

The motor is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand should cost about $180.

The timer and micro computer is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand(NNN) NNN-NNNNand should cost about $210.

The parts can be ordered at www.applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com.

Please get back to me here if you have more questions or concerns.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Start module is a black box mounted on the rear wall of the washer that the wiring harness comes from
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
That is the terminal box. That is where the power comes into the machine. If that wasnt working or not working properly then nothing on the machine would work at all.

How did you check power to the motor? And what voltage did you find?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dennis,

It is as easy as checking the voltage to the motor. And if there is not full voltage or no voltage at all then check the wiring. If the wiring is good and still no voltage or not full voltage then replace the timer.

If full voltage to the motor but yet still not working then replace the motor.

I will tell you this, the motor on this machine is the more common part to fail.

Please check that and get back to me here. But if you have checked it then tell me what you have found or just order the parts.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you troubleshoot the timer?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
There is no definitive way to trouble shoot the timer. The only way to accurately know the timer is bad is to do the checks before it. Like the motor test.

There are way too many points on the timer to check it.

How did you measure and check the voltage to the timer and what pins on the harness did you check? And what voltage did you find?

How come you are not answering those questions for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apology. I meant to say I checked the lid switch interlocking the power to motor controller. Raising and lowering the lid I am satisfied it is interlocking properly. I did not ck motor leads. How do I do that?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dennis,

With the machine in a wash cycle you will need to check the blue and orange wires to the motor harness. Then from blue to black. On each of those wires are you should have 110 volts. And actually if you would link to check them all, just going down the line that is fine as well. On at least two of the wires you should have full 110 volts.

If you don't then you need to replace the timer. If you do and still the motor doesn't turn then you need to change the motor.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cycled the timer multiple times then enabled a wash cycle. The same noise started with no agitator motion. I tilted the machine back to check the leads and it engaged the motor and went into the Spin setting it was on. I'm running a short load now but fill, agitation and spin seem to be working. That tells me the motor isn't bad. Is there an interlock switch that can be tripped and disable the motor similar to the lid switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mott just died on the trial load. Looks like a new washer. This one is 15 year sold and I've replaced every other small part. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dennis,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Yes. If the motor just died and you have sunken money unit this machine before in the past it will not be worth it for you to replace the parts now. Just get another one.

Please get back to me here if you need any more help or have more questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.