Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

hi bryan the site says your on-line and I have a couple of

hi bryan the site says your on-line and I have a couple of questions on a Frigidaire side x side fridge model # XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am not quite sure about frost bryan but the customer explained that the freezer section was warming up also and not quite as cold as it should be so I am just assuming there is no frost build up since it is warmer than it should be in the freezer ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
oh okay I get it, are you asking general questions on what to check when you go there ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes I know how to check the bi metal , the heater , the 2 fans and frost pattern for a cooling issue and I also know how to check the compressor if the overload is kicking off and on. If all these items mentioned are good then that would just leave the timer and temperature thermostat is that right do you feel

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am not to sure of the best ways of checking timers and thermostats sorry if my question was confusing. I believe this fridge has a mechanical timer.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay one sec.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yes that's correct. what you need to find out because the timer if its stuck in defrost the fans wouldn't be running so that's a hint , and the compressor wont run in defrost either, and with the cold control if that was bad same thing the fans and compressor wouldn't be running so if they are now I doubt its either of them , I'm willing to bet its the compressor relay. Relay and Overload Kit(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View if its this relay you wont hear it click like the other type, just pull it off and shake it. if it rattles its bad. are you going there tonight ? yes it has a mechanical timer also
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no tomorrow afternoon

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do know that the evaporator fan is running

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay well bring a relay with you if you have one. the cold control is this one . Temperature Control Thermostat(NNN) NNN-NNNN     Main Product Viewstandard timer . Defrost TimerNNN-NN-NNNNMain Product View like I said though if the fans are running it means its not the timer. the cold control I guess could be faulty hard to say. wiggle it and see if it interrupts the fans. turn it down a little at a time and if this doesn't shut off until it gets to off most likely its fine. the relay is most likely the issue.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

great thanks Bryan if the relay is bad that should also mean that the freezer and fresh food sections will be most likely be pretty warm by tomorrow ?? is that right

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yeah for sure. do they have a spare refrigerator ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yeah I believe the model is IGLOO Smile Brian will both fans run in a bad relay situation ? I get confused when if the power gets shut of to the compressor from a bad relay it sounds like the power going to the fans will not be interrupted with a bad compressor relay from what I am trying to understand here. This question is for my own understanding Bryan I always figured that when the compressor relay was bad that all power to both fans were interrupted. Since the evaporator fan is running on this fridge at this point then the fan power is independent from the compressor relay ?? is that correct ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

yes both fans will run with a bad relay. this condenser fan is separately powered. in other words even if the relay failed the fan would continue to run. the relay comes after the fan anyway. the compressor doesn't send the power to the fan.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks bryan for all your help I will be heading straight to the relay and be giving it a shake. I will let you know tomorrow how things went . Thanks for your sound advice in the past and now

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
your welcome I'll be here tomorrow. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.