Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE washer Model WBSR3140G5CC that wont agitate or

I have a GE washer Model WBSR3140G5CC that won't agitate or spin. It goes through the cycles normally, so timer appears to be working, but doesn't agitate or spin when supposed to. The LED on the motor flashes normally. I followed the reset procedure, but it made no difference. I have bypassed the lid switch - same result. The belt is on, drum and shaft to agitator appear to turn freely. What do I try next?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There are really only 2 things that would stop the washer from agitating or spinning but still allow it to drain and fill normally. Unfortunately those two things are either the motor, or the lid switch. Now you already bypassed the lid switch and got the same issue so even though the LED isn't showing an error on the top of the motor, the motor will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for motor

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to be sure, how can I directly apply power to the motor to verify it doesn't engage?

You can't unfortunately. This uses a DC inverter board on top which is what sends power to the motor and such. Unfortunately there are no schematics past power getting to the inverter board because it's all one part and nothing is sold separately.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. Lastly, based on your knowledge of the age and reliability of this washer, would you replace the motor or spend another couple hundred dollars and buy a new washer? I don't need a lot of features. Just efficiency and reliability.

Honestly, I'd just get a new washer because the part is so expensive. But if you're handy enough to replace the part yourself, it might still be worth repairing. If you did repair it, I would expect about 5 years or so before you got another problem.

Also, if you order the part from Repairclinic.com, they allow you to return parts if you end up not needing them if your skeptical at all.