Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Amana frig model #AFI2538AEW. Noticed freeezer not cold enough.

Customer Question

Amana frig model #AFI2538AEW. Noticed freeezer not cold enough. Tried to clean coils but extremely limited accessablity. I also noticed that in the rear of the freezer unit there were vents completely covered with ice. Can you please advise as to best way to completely clean coils & is there a possibility that there is another problem such as tstat
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The vents covered in ice explain why you're having a cooling issue. This means that your freezer isn't defrosting. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the frost out. Now the unit will work for a week or two just thawing it out, but the frost will come back if you don't replace the faulty defrost component. If you have a multimeter, test continuity through the heater along the bottom of the silver coils where the frost is located as well as the small 1" round defrost thermostat clipped onto the top of the silver coils with 2 wires going to it. If either part does not have continuity, replace it. The most likely culprit is the defrost thermostat so if you don't have a multimeter to test, just replace it. Below is a link to the defrost thermostat.

CLICK HERE for defrost thermostat

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
on the parts hyperlink site, there is a video as to "how" to replace the t-stat. In this video, they are showing side by side freezer. My unit is a french door with lower freezer. Do your instructions differ with this in mind?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Aye, your unit is a french door. That video is just a generic video since this defrost thermostat is used in many Maytag refrigerators. You can watch it if you want some inside on how to cut and splice the thermostat in place, but access will be completely different for your unit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im still concerned about maintenance on those coils at the bottom of the frig. Is there a good,better,best way to effectively clean those?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
This particular refrigerator was designed to be maintenance free. That doesn't mean that the coils should never be cleaned because we as technicians are instructed to clean them whenever we service your unit. But it does mean that they should build up very minimal amount of lint and dust on the coils. The only access to the coils is through the back of the fridge. You would need to remove the lower back access panel and use a coil brush which you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's to try and clean the coils as best as possible. Access is very limited but this is the only access to the coils.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On 9/2 I asked a question about my Amana AFI2538AEW and you said my freezer icing is a result of either a defrost t-stat or defrost htr. I do not have a continuity tester and took your advise and replaced the t-stat. This seemed to have solved the problem. Until now. I am again experiencing an excess of ice on the rear freezer panel. What are your thoughts ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
So, it's unlikely that the heater is bad, but if the thermostat didn't fix the issue and you don't have a multimeter to test, most likely your control board is not telling the unit to go into defrost so the control board itself would likely need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there any way to check or test the control unit ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Not the control itself unfortunately. You would need to test both the thermostat and the heater and if both tested good, that would leave only the control board.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Due to the cost of the control board, I'm willing to purchase a multimeter and test t-stat and heater. The heater should show continuity always ? The t-stat continuity at what temp ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
OK that is correct. Heater should always show continuity. Thermostat will have continuity when below 32 degrees. So if you remove back panel and it's still frosted, test right then and you know it's below 32 degrees
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much Tyler. I don't mean to be a pain, but I'm on a limited income and blah, blah, blah. I feel my course is clear and I really do appreciate your help.
PS I can't figure out how to give you an excellent rating on this page ... HELP
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Please don't feel like a pain. Don't worry about the rating either. You had an "accept" option instead of a rating system. There are a select few questions that get this option for testing purposes only. Either way, if you need anything else, please don't feel shy about coming back and posting.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanx !!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Not a problem at all.