Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore electric dryer HE3 runs for about 10 minutes & slowly

Kenmore electric dryer HE3 runs for about 10 minutes & slowly shuts off & will not restart until completely cooled down- HELP!!!
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately this is a very well known issue for these HE3 front load dryers. The problem is that your motor is just beginning to fail. There is a thermal cut out built inside the motor and if the bearings on the motor start to go up, it heats up the inner shaft on the motor causing the cut out to sense that the motor is overheating. The motor itself would need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue and you can get a new motor at Searspartsdirect.com if you enter in the full model located on a sticker just inside the door way. The model number will start with 110 . XXXXXXXXXX.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is hard to read the model number. Looks like 110.85088400.

That looks correct. you need part number 279787, and below is a link to the part you'll need to replace. There is also a video at the bottom of the link which shows you how to replace the motor so you can see what you're getting yourself into.

CLICK HERE for part

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the motor have a run capacitor inside?

It does not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I get back to this feed to watch video if I finish this conversation now? also If I have questions while installing motor do I have to pay again?

You do not pay again, just this one time. Once you have rated me, there is an E-mail sent to you with a link to come back in case you need to read the conversation or need to ask follow-up questions for any reason.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Thank you!

not a problem and good luck to you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did I close this out correctly? I have not received the follow up email...

Aye, I believe so. But if you need anything else, you can just respond right here like you just did now. I'm not sure why you didn't receive a follow-up email.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got the motor in. Trying to replace but cant get the drum off now!! Guess we need to order new drum. Can you give me the part # to order?

I'm not sure why you'd need a new drum, but either way--below is a link to the part.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drum-Assembly/W10113138/1394044?modelNumber=110.85088400?RCAID=1000057

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK so I used the wrong term!! Its the blower? Plastic fan on the front left of the dryer. We cant get it off it breaking.

Oh ok, got it. That happens sometimes I'm afraid. Sometimes you have to chisle it off and just replace it. Below is a link to the part with a video that shows you how to remove it normally.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its going to need to be replaced! Do you have the part #?

yes, part number is 697772.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi again! We replaced the motor & the blower & started a load of clothes. The dryer ran for about 1 minute & shut off & then had an E1 error code. I found that it was the thermistor so we bought a new one & replaced it & it's still showing the E1 code :-/ any suggestions?
So you are correct that E1 means the thermistor is shorted. You would need to follow the wires through the cabinet and make sure nothing happened to the wires between the thermistor and the control board when servicing. IF you find nothing, then the main control board mounted to the left side wall above the drum would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK we are checking that now! We thought it was strange that the thermistor would go out immediately after changing the motor! I'll let you know.......thx

Yep that was it! Thanks again! :-)
ok no problem and glad I could help.