Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My subzero 590 just shut down loosing all power, all the rest

Customer Question

My subzero 590 just shut down loosing all power, all the rest of the house and panel are fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mark, my name is Barry.

Is your refrigerator completely silent? No strange sounds at all?

Are the lights on inside?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no lights no sounds no power. Power to all else in house is fine. Is there a fuze similar to the a/c that is a part of this unit?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
No fuse listed that I see in the parts diagram, hang on a few minutes I am looking at the wiring diagram. Some models have a breaker on the top, have you checked up there?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will check while you are looking at the diagram.

brb

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Great, I see nothing more. If that is not off or if it is the breaker style not tripped do you have a volt meter or a test light?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope. I did pull the plug on it and plugged it into power from an extension cord and it still didnt work

I dont have an electronic tester

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few more minutes and let me look at it again to be sure I have not missed anything.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Mark there is absolutely nothing between the power cord and the lights in the fresh food section except the door light switch that turns the lights on when you open the door. Nothing but wire. The problem has to be inside of that switch. Take a look inside of it and see if maybe there is a loose wire inside there. Some have screws that screw the wires down. There may be wire nuts inside, the problem has to be there or the switch has gone bad.

Let me know what you find. Hopefully it is something you can fix right away.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

understand, the entire unit is off not just the lights. no compressor no nothing I can believe it is run by the switch

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes that master switch is the very first part after the power cord, then the light switch in the door frame and then the cooling components after that. The lights not working are the giveaway.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what master switch? I havent seen one

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
There should be an off/on switch at the top. Maybe behind the panel at the top.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will check thanks.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome,

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Mark look at the top over the freezer toward the freezer side over or close to the freezer side outside wall. It appears to be near there in the diagram.

Barry