Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

just bought this refrigerator (side by side). freezer is ice

just bought this refrigerator (side by side). freezer is ice cold but other side is not working. It has been stored for over a year and worked before storate.

Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. can you get us the model number ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sure. kenmore, side by side, model #106.53642300

okay great. Now is the fan in the freezer running ? if you open the door you should hear it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes and it is cold

okay. That means the damper is stuck , on this diagram you will see arrows remove the plastic cover that runs down the side and the damper cover in the very back left corner and see if the damper is stuck shut. graphic its this .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found the actual part without removing anything. It is attached to the inside wall of the frig, on the wall that is shared by the freezer. There is cold air blowing out of it, but not much. Should I take anything more apart for this?

how long has this been plugged in ? how warm is the refrigerator side . outside warm or just cool?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We just turned it on about 1 1/2 hours ago. It is about 85 degrees outside, we have it plugged in the garage (not air-conditioned), but the garage door is open.

okay what I would suggest is leave this running overnight . it can take up to 24 hours to stabilize and the refrigerator side takes the longest. I'll bet by morning it will be fine.