Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a GE Microwave Oven mounted over our stove. It was

Customer Question

We have a GE Microwave Oven mounted over our stove. It was installed in 2009. We were having trouble with the control panel because it kept telling us to install a new filter even after we did that. Now the control panel does not work at all, only the light and the vent will work. We checked the circuit breaker and unplugged the microwave. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker inside the microwave cavity and can be seen if you open the door.

Also, do you have a display or anything right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model #PVM2070DM1BB

We have no display right now.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK then the only thing that can cause this issue is the display board itself I'm afraid to say. There are no fuses or cut outs that would stop the display and allow the fan and lights to work so the display board you'll need to order and replace for your model number if unplugging the microwave for 60 seconds won't reset the electronics.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the display board something a homeowner can install or does a professional technician need to order and install it?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If you're handy you can definitely replace it. You just need to unplug the microwave first. Then remove the screws going into the vent above the door and the vent will pull off or slide to the left and then pull off. That will expose a screw at the top of the control panel. Remove that screw and the control panel pulls up and off to replace the board. The board itself is all plug and play.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say plug and play, does that mean it does not have to be programmed once we put it in?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Nope. None of that. Just unscrew the control board. Unplug the wires going into the old board and plug them into the new board. Then just screw the new control board in place and then start assembling.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When we plug it in now, we get a display that says "8888" and then it goes to "set clock". The screen is lit up but nothing happens when you push any of the numbers. If you run the fan, "reminder to change filter" comes up on the screen and then it goes back to "set clock".

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately that is still a bad control board it sounds like I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay; thank you very much. Very helpful. Do you know about how much a control board costs so we don't have sticker shock when I call GE?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's definitely not cheap I'm afraid. About $150-200?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay; thanks so much!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and good luck!