Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool gas range Mod. # XXXXX 2. The oven will

I have a Whirlpool gas range Mod. # XXXXX 2. The oven will come on and work for 45mins to 1 hour and then will not heat after. All burners on top work, but broiler and oven will not work until oven cools down, what could be the cause?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this model has a very complex system with a DSI board (direct spark ignition board) which reads the gas valves coils and checks the resistance to make sure everything is good with the valve. This board also serves other functions like sends out the actual spark to light all the burners and cuts out the gas if it doesn’t detect the flame has ignited. If the system is working properly the bake and the broil will click three times when you turn the oven on. If you only hear one or two clicks, you have a bad DSI board or a bad gas valve. There are 3 terminals on the gas valve so you need to check the resistance from the top terminal to the middle terminal, and the middle terminal to the bottom terminal. You should get a reading of approximately 215 ohms. If you don’t get a reading within 10% of that number, you need to replace the valve because even though only one coil may be bad, the DSI board will stop all oven function as soon as it detects there is a problem with one of the coils. No my guess would be that the valve is going to be bad because it's working for an hour or so and then stops. Often times the valve will heat up and the solenoids will fail to open.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!