Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag dwu 7400 dishwasher and suddenly the door has

Customer Question

I have a Maytag dwu 7400 dishwasher and suddenly the door has quit shutting. I took the top panel off and cannot see any reason why it is not shutting. The start button is still functioning. I live on an island in Alaska and there are NO repairmen here. I have had 2 men check it out & they saw no problem either. Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the door itself wont shut, then most likely the door latch itself is not going into the open location to receive the door striker at the top of the tub. Remove the door latch assembly and control panel then shut the door. Will the door shut? If so, then below is a link to the door latch assembly you need to order and replace.

If the latch is not the problem then you'd be looking at something physically inside the dishwasher not allowing the door to push shut or possibly the hinge on either side of the dishwasher being bent or tangling up in the insulation preventing it from shutting so you'd need to pull the dishwasher out and watch it as it shuts to look at the hinges and see what is happening.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliance is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your suggestions did not help fix the problem. There is nothing wrong with the hinges. I took the control panel off and the door shuts with it off. When I put the control panel back in place, it will not shut. The metal striker appears fine and I think the problem is within the latch that connects with it. There are plastic pieces on each side and a piece in the middle. I do not know what that is supposed to look like but, it looks too recessed or perhaps a chunk has broken off.

How much is this costing me? One part of the ad said $30, another said $15. I am confused and need to know up front what I am paying, as i am not convinced I am going to be able to figure this out on my own. Do you have a pic or schematic of what this particular latch should look like?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
If you take the plastic control panel off and it shuts, then you have a bad latch. Remove the latch and re-install the control panel and shut the door and you'll see that it shuts. You ned to replace the latch assembly. And you have been charged $30 to ask this question.